Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 17 299 Records Found

A general view of Alvecote Colliery

Alvecote Colliery, Tamworth Brickworks and the Coventry canal can be seen in this photograph. Alvecote Colliery was known as Tamworth Colliery until 1948.

Aerial view of Kidsgrove

In the centre of this view is Kidsgrove Railway Station, and just to the right is the Harecastle Tunnel entrance. Bottom right is Harding's Wood Junction where the Trent and Mersey Canal joins the Macclesfield ...

Aerial view of Lancashire Dynamo Electronic Products Ltd's factory site, Brereton

The L.D.E.P. factory was built in 1955 with several subsequent extensions. The two and three storey office block at the top of this image dates from 1961; its top storey housed a conference room and ...

Aerial view of Stoke on Trent

An aerial view of part of Stoke on Trent. The railway can be seen running across the middle of the photograph, with the station to the left. The Trent and Mersey Canal is in front of the railway line. ...

Aerial view of Stone from the north

A view looking towards the town centre. Station Road and the level crossing can be seen in the foreground. The town centre is in the middle of the photograph, with Walton to the right. The Workhouse ...

Amington Church, Tamworth

Photograph of Amington Church with the Green and Coventry Canal visible in the foreground.

Armitage Church and the Trent & Mersey Canal

St. John's Church, Armitage, with the Trent and Mersey Canal in the foreground. With the exception of the tower, which dates from 1632, the church was rebuilt in 1844-7 in a Norman style, to the designs ...

Armitage Church and the Trent & Mersey Canal

St. John's Church, Armitage, with the Trent and Mersey Canal in the foreground. With the exception of the tower, which dates from 1632, the church was rebuilt in 1844-7 in a Norman style, to the designs ...

Armitage Park and Canal: engraving

'View of Armitage Park and subterraneous canal.' Showing Armitage church in the distance to the left of the canal, and a white villa or lodge in the park. 'Stringer, del.,' [drawn by E. or C. E. Stringer]....

Armitage Park: sepia drawing

'The villa of Nath'. Lister, Esqr., at Armitage, Staffordshire.' Showing Armitage canal and Armitage church to the left of the villa.[The original for SV I. 87a.]'E. Stringer del.,' [drawn]

Armitage Pottery Works

A view of bottle kilns at Edward Johns & Co.'s Armitage Sanitary Pottery. The Trent & Mersey Canal can be seen to the left. The first pottery on this site was established by Thomas Bond. he was declared ...

Armitage Pottery Works

A view of bottle kilns at Edward Johns & Co.'s Armitage Sanitary Pottery. The Trent & Mersey Canal can be seen to the left. The first pottery on this site was established by Thomas Bond. he was declared ...

Armitage Tunnel, Trent & Mersey Canal

A short section of tunnel cut through Keuper sandstone beds near Armitage. This stretch of the Trent and Mersey Canal was engineered by James Brindley and opened in 1770.

Armitage Views

This multi-view postcard of Armitage shows scenes of the moorings on the Trent and Mersey canal by the Plum Pudding public house, Lodge Cottage on the Rugeley Road, a flower border by the canal cutting ...

Arrowhead or sagittaria sagittifolia

Arrowhead is a perennial found chiefly in canals but also in shallow ponds, ditches and slow-flowing rivers. Its name derives from the shape of the leaves. Flowering between July and August, it can ...

Awbridge Lock, Wombourne

Awbridge Lock stands on the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, which was engineered by James Brindley and opened in May 1772.

Bagnall Lock Bridge, Alrewas

Bridge number 49 on the Trent and Mersey Canal at Bagnall Lock, close to the Kings Bromley road at Alrewas. This postcard scene is of younsters feeding swans from a narrow boat with lots of young onlookers ...

Barlow's narrow boat, Glascote, Tamworth

On the Wharf at S. E. Barlow's Anchor Docks from left to right are, Mr Herbert Florendine, Mr Andrew Penny (foreman), and Mr S. E. Barlow. The gentleman in the boat, the Long Moll, on the far left is ...