Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 7 114 Records Found

Aerial View of Stafford College,

North Staffordshire Polytechnic was established in the Stafford College buildings in 1970. In 1989 the polytechnic became a Higher Education Corporation after changing its name from North Staffordshire ...

After the fire at Denstone Preparatory School

A postcard view taken at Denstone Preparatory School after the fire in January 1912. Denstone College was begun in 1868 and opened in 1873 as St. Chad's College with 46 boys. It was designed by William ...

Art Class, Sutherland Institute, Longton

The photograph shows William Morse and his Art class. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke of Sutherland. Today it houses Longton ...

Art Class, Sutherland Institute, Longton

Life drawing in Mr. Morse's art class. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke of Sutherland. Today it houses Longton Library.

Burslem School of Art, Queen Street, Burslem

Burslem School of Art in Queen Street. The grade II listed building was built between 1900 and 1924 on the site of an old pottery manufactory. Directly opposite is the Wedgwood Institute. Queen Street ...

Burslem School of Art, Queen Street, Burslem

This building was constructed between 1900 and 1924 by W. Grant & Sons Builders. It is a rectangular, two storey building, six rooms rooms wide by two rooms deep. The front shows six large window casements ...

Burslem School of Art, Queen Street, Burslem.

Opened in 1853, Burslem School of Art offered the opportunity for local talented people to study art at a high level. Art Deco pottery paintress Clarice Cliff attended evening classes here, as did many ...

Burslem Technical College Annexe, Moorland Road, Burslem

Burslem Technical College was constructed between 1878 and 1900 and was originally Stansfield Hospital. It comprises of seven buildings, blocks A to G. This photogragh shows the rear of blocks D and E. Block ...

Burton College, Abbey Street, Burton-upon-Trent

A school of science was founded in 1872 and by 1879 had moved to the Burton Institute in Union Street. By 1931 it was known as the Technical Institute. In 1948 it became Burton technical College following ...

Bus Station and Mining College, Cannock

The original Mining College was founded 1891. The 1920s building which replaced it was enlarged and opened in October 1929 by Viscount Chelmsford. It cost about £25,000 of which £18,000 was a grant from ...

Caretaker of the Sutherland Institute, Longton

Portrait of Mr T. Dawes, caretaker of the Sutherland Institute in Longton for many years. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke ...

Catering course at Rodbaston Agricultural College

Rodbaston College's origins lie in 1919 when the War Agricultural Committee opened an agricultural training depot. In 1921 it became Rodbaston Farm Institute, which was run by the County Council. It was ...

Central Science School, Stoke-on-Trent. Photographed by William Blake.

View of the Central Science School, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. The school was built in 1914. This is now houses Staffordshire University's Thompson Library on College Road.

Cherry Street, Stafford,

View from the end of Queen Street. Cherry Street was originally called Talbot Lane. These houses were demolished in the 1960s to make way for Stafford College. In the background can be seen the modern ...

Cotes Hall College, Cotes Heath,

Cotes Hall College near Stone, which is located on the right before Cotes Heath and Cranberry Street (photograph of a print). In 1851 John James Matthews resided here. In the foreground can be seen ...

Cotton College, Cotton

An Aerofilms postcard view of Cotton College, also known as St. Wilfrid's College. Cotton Hall was built in the 18th century by the Gilbert family. In 1844 it was sold to the Earl of Shrewsbury and ...

Decorated plates and cups

Possibly made at Fenton School of Art. Fenton School of Art was set up in 1889 by William Meath Baker in the old Fenton Athenaeum, which had been opened in 1853 and stood on the corner of Church Street ...

Denstone College

A postcard view of Denstone College which was begun in 1868 and opened in 1873 as St. Chad's College, with places for 46 boys. It was designed by William Slater and R.C. Carpenter in a Gothic style. The ...