Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 7 121 Records Found

Ashton Frost pumping engine , Mill Meece Pumping Station

Mill Meece Pumping Station was built by Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company between 1912 and 1928 to supplement the water supply to the Potteries. Seen here is a horizontal compound tandem rotary ...

Biddulph - Ancient Well in Knypersley Woods: sepia drawing (vignetted)

'Ancient well in Knipersley (sic) Woods, which was formerly used to cure the King's Evil,' [pencil note]. Showing a circular well with a shallow trough in front. Artist: Thomas Peploe Wood.

Birchgate in Townsend, Bucknall

Looking northeast along Birchgate with Bucknall covered reservoir in the distance. The photograph was taken close to the junction with Werrington Road and Eaves Lane. The houses on both sides of the road ...

Blithfield Reservoir

This postcard view shows the causeway carrying the B5013 across Blithfield Reservoir. Blithfield is the largest reservoir in Staffordshire, being 2 miles (3.2km) long, covering an area of 790 acres ...

Blithfield Reservoir

The causeway carrying the B5013 across Blithfield Reservoir. Blithfield is the largest reservoir in Staffordshire, being 2 miles (3.2km) long, covering an area of 790 acres (320 hectares) with a maximum ...

Bowling Green, Cannock

The hexagonal stone building is the Conduit, which housed the outlet of the town's water supply, piped from a spring on Rummer Hill. The Cannock Conduit Trust was formed in 1735 to bring fresh drinking ...

Bratch Pump House, Wombourne

Built in 1895 as a pumping station for Bilston Water Works, it was officially opened in 1897 and stands next to the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal at the Bratch, near Wombourne. It became redundant ...

Brindley Bank Pump House, Rugeley

Brindley Bank Pump House was opened in 1905 and was built by the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company. It contained a horizontal tandem compound pumping engine made by Hathorn Davey of Leeds in 1903....

Caldon Canal and Pumping Station, Stockton Brook

The Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook, looking towards Etruria. A working narrow boat is moored alongside the canal towpath in the distance. On the right is Stockton Brook pumping station built for the Staffordshire ...

Caldon Canal and Pumping Station, Stockton Brook

Stockton Brook, looking towards Etruria. A working narrow boat is moored alongside the canal towpath in the distance. On the right is Stockton Brook pumping station built for the Staffordshire Potteries ...

Caldon Canal and waterworks at Stockton Brook

The view north along the Caldon Canal near middle lock at Stockton Brook. To the right is the chimney of Stockton Brook Waterworks. The waterworks were built in 1884 by the Staffordshire Potteries Water ...

Cannock Town - Conduit: sepia drawing

Showing the Conduit, an octagonal building with pyramidal stone roof in roadway near the church. Also showing an old gabled house to the left. 'J. C. Buckler.'

Cannock Town: sepia wash

'View in Cannock,' taken from the road leading to the church, from the west. Showing an early Georgian gabled house, 'the Crown Hotel' (demolished 1962) on the left, the church in the distance, and the ...

Claymills Pumping Station, Burton-upon-Trent

Claymills Pumping Station was designed by James Mansergh and opened in 1885. It was used to pump sewage from Burton-upon-Trent to a sewage farm at Etwall, and was built in response to increasing health ...

Claymills Pumping Station, Burton-upon-Trent

Claymills Pumping Station was designed by James Mansergh and opened in 1885. It was used to pump sewage from Burton-upon-Trent to a sewage farm at Etwall, and was built in response to increasing health ...

Clock and Market Place, Willenhall

This Harold Carwright photograph has slightly different composition to the others he took of the Market Place. The time on the clock face seems to make this the first of the set so perhaps he was not ...

Construction of the Waterworks, Milford,

The waterworks pumping station was built at Milford in 1890. The reservoirs situated on the top of the Satnall Hills supplied water to Stafford and its surrounding districts.

Corner of the Bowling Green, Cannock

A postcard picture of Cannock's bowling green with 'The Green' behind. This 18th century house was modernised in the mid-19th century by Bernard Gilpin, owner of the famous edge-tool manufactory. To ...