Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 5 73 Records Found

21 Church Street, Tamworth

Number 21 Church Street has been used both as a library and Municipal offices over the years. Sir Robert Peel's Public Library, founded in 1841 in Colehill, was transferred to this site in 1871, but closed ...

Annual Exhibition, Stafford Photographic Society, Stafford

Mr N E Veale, of Manor Rise, Walton, Stone tells the Mayor of Stafford, Alderman C E Fowke, himself an expert photographer, how he took “A Winter’s Day”, the print which gained him the silver medal for ...

Art Class, Sutherland Institute, Longton

Life drawing in Mr. Morse's art class. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke of Sutherland. Today it houses Longton Library.

Art Gallery, Stafford Library & Museum

A view of the refurbished Art Gallery after the Library and Museum extension was added in 1962. This room, on the first floor of the Lichfield Road side of the building, was originally the Library Reference ...

Bath Street, Stoke upon Trent

From Spark Terrace corner Bath Street runs steeply down to London Road. The van with the Michelin Man on the roof is parked outside the original Stoke Library building. The factory building at the bottom ...

Boots the Chemist, Subscription Library, Uttoxeter

An interior view of the Subscription Library which was run by Boots the Chemist at their premises on High Street, Uttoxeter. This library closed in the mid 1950s. From left to right: Cynthia Yates, ...

Boy's Library, Denstone College

The Boy's Library opened in 1881. In 1899 new oak bookcases were installed and the contents organised by Mr A. A. Armstrong, the Librarian. Denstone College was begun in 1868 and opened in 1873 as ...

Building the City Central Library, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph was taken during the early stages of the building of the City Central Library and Archives in Bethesda Street. On the left is the chimney attached to the boiler house and on the right ...

Burslem Town Hall

The western end of Burslem's second Town Hall in Market Place. Opened in 1854, this building replaced the first Town Hall and was built on the same site. Behind to the left are PMT buses parked in Market ...

Burton Library, Meadowside Drive, Burton-upon-Trent

Burton Library was opened in 1977 and occupies the site of a Bass malthouse. it replaced the free library opened by Burton corporation in 1892 which stood on Union Street. This Image is from a collection ...

Burton Library, Union Street, Burton-upon-Trent

A lender passing a book to a librarian in Burton Library. In 1876 the Mechanics’ Institute and the Burton Literary Society were amalgamated as the Burton Institute. This moved to new premises in Union ...

Burton Library, Union Street, Burton-upon-Trent

Boys pictured in the Junior section of Burton Library on Union Street during Boys and Girls Book Week, 7 - 12 November 1932. In 1876 the Mechanics’ Institute and the Burton Literary Society were amalgamated ...

Burton Library, Union Street, Burton-upon-Trent

Boys and girls in the junior section of Burton Library. In 1876 the Mechanics’ Institute and the Burton Literary Society were amalgamated as the Burton Institute. This moved to new premises in Union ...

Cannock Advertiser Centenary Exhibition, Cannock Library

The Cannock Advertiser Centenary Exhibition at Cannock Library. With display case containing the first edition of the Cannock Advertiser are (left to right): D.C. Coggin (Editorial Director), Miles Withington ...

Caretaker of the Sutherland Institute, Longton

Portrait of Mr T. Dawes, caretaker of the Sutherland Institute in Longton for many years. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke ...

City Central Library and Art Gallery & Museum, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph is looking over the foundations of the City Central Library and Archives building towards the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery. This photograph was taken in 1968, before the museum building ...

Corporation Street, Tamworth

The Carnegie Library built in 1905 is seen on the left, with the Assembly Rooms on the far right. The tower of St. Editha's can be seen in the background. The Assembly rooms were built by a public subscription ...

Earl Street, Stafford, (2)

The building in the centre was the headquarters of the County Library. On the left is Thomasson's dentists surgery.