Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 2 35 Records Found
12

Assize Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place for the County Court and later for other civic meetings. The present building, designed by John Harvey and erected ...

Demolition of Magistrates' Court, Stafford

Looking east along South Walls in Stafford towards the former Magistrates' Court building. On the left is a glimpse of Staffordshire Place and in the background there is the BT Telephone Exchange. Construction ...

Fire and Rescue Service, Stafford

Photograph shows a fire and rescue drill outside the Shire Hall in Stafford. Ambulance staff are lowering a patient onto a stretcher. A fire engine is in the background. Reproduced by Kind Permission ...

Guildhall, Stafford,

The Guildhall on Market Square was designed by Charles Trubshaw and built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. The entrance to the market ...

Horticultural Show, Shire Hall, Stafford

Displays at a horticultural show held in the Great Hall at the Shire Hall, Market Square, Stafford. Featured is James A. Heap's display of chrysanthemums. He was tenant at Shugborough Walled Garden ...

Lichfield - Guildhall: pen and ink drawing

'Guildhall, Lichfield,' [on Bore Street] showing a building of classical design with a pedimental frontage and urns. The arches below are open and not filled in as windows. [Copied from a woodcut engraving ...

Magistrates' Court, Horninglow Street, Burton-upon-Trent

Horninglow Street Magistrates' Courts, old and new, with the new Police Station on the right. The Court was built in 1907 and designed by Henry Beck, architect of Burton-upon-Trent. This Image is ...

Market Square, Stafford

Postcard published by Wyndham & Co., Acton, Middlesex. Postmarked 22 July 1904.

Market Square, Stafford

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market opened behind the new Guildhall, but some stalls continued to trade from the Market Square. On the right is the Shire ...

Market Square, Stafford

A colour-tinted postcard view of Market Square taken from the end of Gaolgate Street. The Shire Hall, built in 1795-1798 by John Harvey dominates the square. On the immediate left can be seen the spectacles ...

Market Square, Stafford

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market opened behind the new Guildhall, but some stalls continued to trade from the Market Square. On the right is the Shire ...

Market Square, Stafford

A view of Market Square looking towards Greengate Street taken after the demolition of the fountain in 1934 and the creation of flower beds in 1953. Postcard published by Valentine & Sons Ltd., Dundee ...

Market Square, Stafford

A view of the Market Square taken from the end of Greengate Street. On the right is the building built as Brookfield's department store in the 1880s. Brookfield's closed in 1909 and the building was ...

Market Square, Stafford

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place for the County Court and later for other civic meetings. The present building, designed by John Harvey and erected ...

Market Square, Stafford

Black and white glass positive, lantern slide. Brougham cabs and horses on Market Square, Stafford, with the Shire Hall in the background. To the right is the Jubilee Fountain, erected in 1887. The ...

Market Square, Stafford

Postcard postmarked 22 August 1928.

Memorial to Thomas Noon Talfourd, Shire Hall, Stafford

Thomas Noon Talfourd (1795-1854), was a writer, judge, and politician. He was called to the bar in 1821 and was Member of Parliament for Reading as a Radical from 1835 to 1841 and 1847 to 1848. He ...

Ox Roast, Market Square, Stafford

A view taken from a first floor window of two oxen being roasted on Market Square, Stafford with crowds watching and the Shire Hall behind. The event was probably Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations ...

12