Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 14 239 Records Found

A G Richardson's Britannia Pottery, Cobridge

A G Richardson's Britannia Pottery stood at the junction of North Road and Leek New Road in Cobridge. Behind the works is the spoil tip of Sneyd Colliery (now Sneyd Hill Park). The office building still ...

A general view of Alvecote Colliery

Alvecote Colliery, Tamworth Brickworks and the Coventry canal can be seen in this photograph. Alvecote Colliery was known as Tamworth Colliery until 1948.

A view north from Hartshill Park, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph was taken from the top of Vicarage Road, at the entrance to Hartshill Park and Nature Reserve. The camera is looking northwards. Inn the foreground is the Diamond Clay Works, manufacturing ...

Aerial view of Littleton Colliery, Huntington

In the foreground are the colliery buildings, with houses close by.

Aftermath of the pit explosion at West Cannock No. 5 Mine, Hednesford

Miner being comforted following a firedamp explosion in the pit on May 16 1933, which killed 6 men and 2 horses. West Cannock Colliery Company had 5 sites: No.1 plant (pit) was sunk in 1869 and ...

An in-seam roadway, Lea Hall Colliery, Rugeley

A coal miner standing in the Deep-Seam roadway. The endless-road haulage can be seen between and adjacent to the rails. Water and fire-fighting pipes are slung from the supports at the side and the power ...

At the bottom shaft of Littleton Colliery No.3 , Huntington.

The photograph was taken to mark the completion of installation of CCTV in the pit bottom. The three large objects visible at the top of the picture are floodlights on either side and a CCTV camera in ...

Berry Hill Colliery, Fenton

Berry Hill colliery, Fenton (1863-1960). This colliery occupied three sites in the same area. For many years Berry Hill was the headquarters of the former Staffordshire and Western Areas of the National ...

Berry Hill Mines Rescue Station, Hanley

This was originally the pithead baths building of Berry Hill Colliery. The colliery closed in 1959 and the old baths were converted into the North Staffs Rescue Station, opening in 1962. The station had ...

Biddulph Valley and Victoria Colliery.

Victoria Colliery pictured from the tracks of the Biddulph Valley branch line. The aerial cable cars can be seen taking spoil to the 'slag heap'. The mine was owned by Robert Heath, who lived in nearby ...

Biddulph Valley Branch mineral railway at Milton Road, Stoke-on-Trent

A view north along the ex North Staffordshire Railway's Biddulph Valley Branch near Milton Road. Norton Colliery waste tip and the Ford Green Iron Works are the centre behind the line house. Much of the ...

Bignall End, Audley

This postcard shows the view from the foot of Boon Hill, at the junction of Raven's Lane and Bignall Hill. The North Staffordshire Branch railway line, seen here running from the left, has now been removed. ...

Bilston - a section of Bradley Mine : engraving

Engraving coloured by hand. Inscribed 'A Section of BRADLEY MINE, near Bilston, showing the various Strata, and the several operations of the Miners in getting the Ten Yard Coal in the Staffordshire ...

Bilston - a section of Bradley Mine: lithograph

Inscribed ' A SECTION OF BRADLEY MINE, NEAR BILSTON, SHEWING (sic) THE VARIOUS STRATA, AND THE SEVERAL OPERATIONS OF THE MINERS IN GETTING THE TEN YARD COAL IN THE STAFFORDSHIRE COLLIERIES.'Showing the ...

Birchenwood Collieries Rescue Team, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Birchenwood Colliery

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Birchenwood colliery, Kidsgrove

1891-1932. Almost all the coal from this group of pits was used for coke and other by-products. There was an explosion at the No. 18 pit on 18 December 1925 which killed seven men and seriously injured ...

Birchmoor Colliery

The 'Cockspur' pit head buildings of Birchmoor Colliery can be seen here, which were closed down between 1970 and 1980.