Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 23 414 Records Found

3 Market Place, Cannock

A postcard showing the rear of 3 Market Place (Church Street), Cannock with a man and woman in doorway and Croquet hoops in the lawn. It is postmarked Cannock, 1909. This house was later Lloyds Bank ...

A Bit Thick for Father Christmas In the Potteries. Photographed by William Blake.

Industrial landscape with the caption "A Bit Thick for Father Christmas In the Potteries". Taken at Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Despite an obvious pride in many of the aspects of the pottery ...

A general view of Rugeley

A postcard view of Rugeley. The photograph was taken from the St. Augustine's church tower looking south towards Stile Cop on the horizon. At the right is Anson Street: the small timber-framed building ...

Aerial View of Evode Chemical Works Ltd., Stafford

Aerial view of the Common Road site. Spic and Span Shoe Polishes Ltd. was established in Glover Street on 3 June 1932. The company was partly owned by Lotus Ltd., the shoe manufacturers. In 1938 ...

Aerial view of Lancashire Dynamo Electronic Products Ltd's factory site, Brereton

The L.D.E.P. factory was built in 1955 with several subsequent extensions. The two and three storey office block at the top of this image dates from 1961; its top storey housed a conference room and ...

Agricultural Event, Ingestre Hall,

Ingestre Hall was built by Sir Walter Chetwynd in 1613. By the eighteenth century it had been acquired by the Talbots, who remodelled parts of the hall in the early 1800s. The Talbots became the Earls ...

Alexandra Hotel, Stafford,

The Alexandra Hotel was originally built in the late eighteenth century as a town house and business premises for Thomas Lovett, a wine merchant. It was situated on the corner of Greengate Street and ...

Amington School, Tamworth

View of Amington Church of England School taken from the main road. The school was built by the famous Victorian architect G. Street, who also built Amington Church. The architectural details of note ...

Anchor Pottery, Longton

Demolition of a bottle oven at Sampson Bridgwood's Anchor Pottery in Goddard Street in the East Vale area of Longton. These are hovel ovens where the oven stands in the centre of a separate circular ...

Anglesey Hotel, Hednesford

The Anglesey Hotel, Hednesford viewed from Market Street. It was built in 1831 by Edmund Peel of Tamworth, son of Sir Robert Peel of Drayton Manor; brother to Robert, sometime British Prime Minister. ...

AOC Parade at RAF Stafford

Pictured is the AOC's (Air Officer Commanding) Parade at RAF Stafford in 1951. The building on the right was known as the old fire picquet hut. In the background are prefabricated huts, houses on the ...

Aqualate Hall,

The original Aqualate Hall was built for Edwin Skrymsher in the early seventeenth century. Sir John Boughey bought the house in the late eighteenth century and commissioned John Nash to rebuild it in ...

Argyll Road, Longton. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene taken at Argyll Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. This is one of many street scenes in the Blake Collection. Most of them were taken in the Normacot and Dresden areas near ...

Armitage School

A view of Armitage School at the junction of Rugeley Road and Church Lane. It became the home of Armitage Youth Centre around 1975. The hall is also used by other community groups. The school was replaced ...

Baggeridge Woods Colliery, Himley

A view of base of the boiler house chimney stack and one of the sets of winding gear. Baggeridge was sunk in February 1899, mining a coal seam at a depth of 600 feet. A second shaft was sunk in 1910 ...

Bandstand and Bowling Green, Cannock

A very early postcard where the message and picture is on the same side; the address only being on the reverse. This style of postcard became obsolete when divided back cards were introduced in Great ...

Bank Street, Heath Hayes

A view of Bank Street, Heath Hayes with what are now numbers 77, 79 and 81 Bank Street on the right. The houses are now rendered in white, but the doors and windows of the two left-hand buildings can ...

Barlaston Hall

Barlaston Hall stands on a hill, overlooking the Trent Valley. It was built in 1756 for Thomas Mills, an attorney from Leek. The design is attributed to Sir Robert Taylor. In 1774 Barlaston Hall featured ...