Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 7 109 Records Found

Aerial view of Stafford Gas Works

Aerial photograph of Stafford Gas works on Chell Road. The River Sow is on the left of the site. The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when ...

Aerial View of Stafford,

Aerial view taken by R.A.F. 42 Operational Training Unit. In the lower half of the photograph can be seen the River Sow, Tenterbanks and Victoria Park (the tennis courts can be seen on the right). ...

Boating on the River Sow, Stafford,

Photograph taken on the River Sow just downstream from the White Bridge. On the upstream side there was a boathouse, Stalls and Hamon, and later boats could be hired from the Royal Brine Baths.

Brick bridge, Fairway, Stafford

The original brick bridge over the River Sow on Fairway was replaced in the early 1960's. This photograph shows the bridge during winter floods.

Bridge over the River Sow, Doxey Road, Stafford

Looking south west along the River Sow from Doxey Road. The houses in the background stand on South Street and Castle Street. The River Sow rises to the south of Loggerheads. The Sow is joined by ...

Broad Eye Windmill and River Sow, Stafford,

Photograph taken from South Street. Broad Eye corn mill was built in 1796 using stones taken from the Old Town Hall (now replaced by the Shire Hall). The miller lived in a house next door. In ...

Canal and River Sow, Milford

The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal near Milford at the point where it crosses the River Sow via an aqueduct. A 'Teesee' postcard published by E.J. Garside, Rock House, Milford.

Chebsey Bridge, Eccleshall

Chebsey bridge over the River Sow, with Riverside Farm in the background. A postcard view published by E.J. Hurlstone of Eccleshall.

Chebsey Church

All Saints' dates from the Norman period. The Perpendicular west tower features an outside stair turret. The churchyard contains an Anglo-Saxon cross shaft. Inside the church can be found late Victorian ...

Chinese House and Boat House, Shugborough Park,

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

Chinese House, Shugborough Park

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

Chinese House, Shugborough Park

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

Christmas Card, Holdiford Bridge, Milford

This winter scene was taken by Mr E Graham in Holdiford Road looking north to the River Sow bridge, the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal bridge and towards Tixall. The concept, design and costs ...

Construction of Riverside Shopping Centre and Cinema, Stafford

This picture taken on the Green Bridge over the River Sow in Stafford, shows foundations and groundwork created to take steel framework to be used in the construction of a new Cinema. The Odeon Luxe Cinema ...

Copmere, Eccleshall

A view of Copmere looking west from the sluice gate on the River Sow at its exit. Copmere is one of the largest natural lakes in Staffordshire and is about four acres in area. A postcard view published ...

Coronation Bridge, Victoria Park, Stafford

The land between Izaak Walton Walk and the railway station was marshy and liable to flooding. In 1903 the Corporation bought the land and raised its level by three feet. The area was laid out as Victoria ...

Essex Bridge, Great Haywood

Photograph of the Essex Bridge taken in April 1998 after heavy rain. The meeting of the River Sow and River Trent can be seen through the two left hand arches. The River Sow is on the left. There has ...

Essex Bridge, Great Haywood

A lantern slide view of the Essex Bridge looking from Great Haywood towards the Shugborough estate. There has been a bridge crossing the River Trent at Great Haywood since the sixteenth century. It was ...