Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 3 49 Records Found

Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

View of the Market Square, which until 1953 was used as a car park. In the centre is the Shire Hall, with the Lloyds Bank building to its left. On the far left is the new Guildhall, constructed ...

Aerial view of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Aerial View of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Asylum railway, Cheddleton

A view of the electric engine that powered the asylum train serving Leekbrook Asylum. This engine is now at the National Railway Museum in York. This image is taken from the collection of the Churnet ...

Asylum railway, Cheddleton

An electric railway ran from Leekbrook to the asylum at Cheddleton. It ran for about a mile and was under the control of the asylum. It carried everything from the workforce, inmates, food and coal! ...

Asylum tokens, Cheddleton Asylum

Finding the right work for the right patient was vital to the asylum doctors and Superintendent, in order to maximise the therapeutic effect. Cheddleton Superintendent William Menzies was particularly ...

Building Cheddleton Asylum

The asylum at Cheddleton in Staffordshire was built to serve the Pottery towns and the area surrounding Leek. Patients were referred to as "inmates", and anyone from people with a "mild affliction" ...

Burntwood Asylum

Postcard view of the entrance front of Burntwood Asylum, later St. Matthew's Hospital, a name officially adopted in 1948. The hospital was built by the County of Stafford for mentally ill patients ...

Burntwood Asylum

This postcard view shows the entrance front of Burntwood Asylum, later St. Matthew's Hospital, a name officially adopted in 1948. The hospital was built by the County of Stafford for mentally ill patients ...

Burntwood Hospital Photograph

St Matthew’s Hospital, Burntwood case note extract for Alice Florendine charwoman: ‘has illegitimate child of 14 also one dead’…’practically nothing in the house’… ‘hopes she shant always be punished’. ...

Burntwood Hospital Photograph

St Matthew’s Hospital, Burntwood case note extract for Annie Podmore, servant, 26: ‘has weak intellect’ …’ has lived in Tamworth workhouse practically all her life’. Annie was discharged after 3 years ...

Burntwood Hospital Photograph

St Matthew’s Hospital, Burntwood case note extract for Frances Jones: housewife, 52 ‘had 14 children, 6 died, most in infancy’…. ‘says she is in misery’…. Frances was a long-term patient and lived ...

Chapel, Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Cheddleton Asylum Christmas party

Cheddleton Asylum Christmas party. A Merry Christmas to All! The asylum was built circa 1895 and was in use up until the 1990s. This image is included by kind permission of the Churnet Valley ...

Cheddleton Asylum foundation stone

Dignitaries lay the foundation stone at Cheddleton asylum in Staffordshire. The Victorians had a genuine awareness of mental illness, and Cheddleton asylum had an excellent record of patient care. This ...

Coton Hill Asylum, Front View, Stafford

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford

The male side of the hospital, seen from the cricket ground. Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house ...

Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford

A postcard view of Coton Hill Asylum which was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known ...