Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 4 72 Records Found

Aerial view of St. Mary’s Church, Stafford

This aerial postcard view shows St. Mary’s Church in Stafford. On the right is a part view of the Market Square and in the background is Stafford Prison. On the reverse it states: "This photograph ...

Aerial view of Stafford

This aerial postcard view looks south over Stafford. On the left is Stafford prison, in the foreground is Grey Friars and Foregate Street, centre right is the gas works and in the distance St Mary’s and ...

Aerial View of Stafford,

View looking north from above Tenterbanks.To the left is the River Sow, Broad Eye and the windmill. Stafford Gaol, on Gaol Road, can be seen in the top right hand corner. Copyright and ownership of ...

Boys' Schoolroom, Stafford Gaol

Originally prisoners would have been taught in their cells, education being one of the prison chaplain's duties. By 1852 a schoolmaster and schoolmistress had been appointed and a room in the prison ...

Broadsheet - Staffordshire Lent Assizes, 1845

A broadsheet detailing the sentences for prisoners at the Staffordshire Lent Assizes, at the Shire Hall, Stafford in 1845. The judges were The Right Hon. Sir Frederick Pollock, Knight; and Thomas Joshua ...

Butcher's Shop, Stafford,

This butcher's shop was located on the corner of White Lion Street and Lichfield Road. Next to the shop can be seen the eighteenth century lock-up, used originally to detain local drunks and vagrants. ...

Chapel, Stafford Gaol,

The chapel was built in 1852, during a period of alteration and expansion within the prison structure. The new chapel was situated behind the women's gaol; a gallery at the southern end was designed ...

Cooking Kitchen, Stafford Gaol

Ovens and cooking equipment in the cooking kitchen. The kitchen block was built in the 1860s.

Corn Mill, Stafford Gaol

The corn mill was built in the 1860s to grind corn for the prisoners' bread. The mill was powered by a treadwheel which was worked by prisoners; this was situated at the rear of the mill, in the building ...

County Court Debtors' Yard, Stafford Gaol

Imprisonment for debtors was abolished in 1870, but this did not extend to those who failed to pay penalties imposed by the County Court. Debtors were allowed privileges such as hot meals, if they ...

Entrance to the Women's Prison, Stafford Gaol

The women's prison was built in 1852 to deal with the problem of overcrowding. A new male block, the 'Crescent' was also built. At this time it was believed that prisoners should be kept apart as ...

Execution of Charles Moore

A broadsheet detailing the life, trial and exection of Charles Moore. Charles Moore and Edward Welsh were convicted of the murder of John and Jane Blackburn at Ash Flats Farm, near Stafford. They ...

Execution of George Bentley

A broadsheet detailing the trial and execution of George Bentley of Mill Meece, near Eccleshall. Bentley was convicted of the murder of John Poole of Croxton, at Walk Mill at Offley Brook, near Eccleshall. ...

Exercise Yard, Stafford Gaol

Exercise yard situated in the south east corner of the new prison block. This is now (2017) the exercise yard for A and B wing prisoners.

Forebridge Lock-up, Stafford,

The lock-up on Lichfield Road dates from the early eighteenth century. It was built from stone taken from the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel which once stood on this site. Lock-ups were used ...

Gaol Road, Stafford

A postcard view looking north along Gaol Road from Gaol Square, Stafford. Centre left just behind the lamp post is Boon's tobacconists, centre right shows the Gaol walls and gatehouse and on the extreme ...

Gaol Road, Stafford

Looking north along Gaol Road from Gaol Square. The Gaol walls and gatehouse can be sen to the right. On the left is Boon's tobacconists Postcard published by William Shaw of Burslem. Postmarked ...

Gnosall Lock-up,

Gnosall village lock-up, Station Road, built in 1830. Lock-ups, often found in rural communities, were a convenient place to detain vagrants and local drunks. Only three lock-ups survive in the county, ...