Theme Explorer

Start Again > Celebrations, Events & Disasters > Demolitions & Explosions
Page 1 of 3 41 Records Found

Aftermath of the Fauld Explosion

On the morning of November 27, 1944, a huge explosion took place after the accidental ignition of 3,500 tons of explosives stored by the RAF in a disused gypsum mine. Upper Castle Hayes Farm was completely ...

Aftermath of the Fauld explosion

On the morning of November 27, 1944, a huge explosion took place after the accidental ignition of 3,500 tons of explosives stored by the RAF in a disused gypsum mine. Upper Castle Hayes Farm was completely ...

Aftermath of the pit explosion at West Cannock No. 5 Mine, Hednesford

Miner being comforted following a firedamp explosion in the pit on May 16 1933, which killed 6 men and 2 horses. West Cannock Colliery Company had 5 sites: No.1 plant (pit) was sunk in 1869 and ...

Birchenwood Collieries Rescue Team

Birchenwood Collieries Rescue Team of seven feet Banbury District, West Winpenny Slant, after a fire which occurred on Monday 28th April 1924. Photographed are: (back row) W. Kirkham, J. Stone, T ...

Birchenwood Collieries Rescue Team, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Birchenwood, Kidsgrove

Demolition of Birchenwood coking-plant and tar distillery.

Blast furnace demolition at Shelton Bar steelworks

This picture shows the blast furnaces at Shelton Bar Steelworks in Stoke-on-Trent being demolished. Steel production at Shelton Bar ended in 1978 but the processing of existing steel continued in the ...

Bomb damage to Richards' Butcher's Shop, High Street, Burton-on-Trent

Scene showing the destruction of the zeppelin raid on Messrs. Richards' butcher's shop, 156-7 High Street. A few of the butcher's pigs were killed but the horse escaped.

Bridge Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This photograph of Bank House on Bridge Street in Newcastle-under-Lyme was taken in 1963 prior to the house being demolished to make way for the Crown Court that now stands on the site. Bank House is ...

Coton Hill Hospital, Stafford

View of Coton Hill Hospital, Stafford from north east during demolition. Apart from the chapel and the lodges the hospital was demolished to make way for the new Stafford District Hospital. Coton ...

Coton Hill Hospital, Stafford

View of main front (south east) elevation of Coton Hill Hospital, Stafford during demolition. Apart from the chapel and the lodges the hospital was demolished to make way for the new Stafford District ...

Coton Hill Hospital, Stafford

View of main front (south east) elevation of Coton Hill Hospital, Stafford during demolition. The wing to right hand side is already partly demolished. Apart from the chapel and the lodges the hospital ...

Demolition of a Timber Framed House, Hixon

Thorn Lea Cottage was built as a pair of cottages in the seventeenth century on High Street, next to where the Memorial Hall stands today. In the 1920s the Barlow family rented the house from Miss Huntbatch, ...

Demolition of buildings on South Walls,

Demolition of buildings on corner of South Walls and Greengate Street by Costains Ltd, prior to construction of the Co-operative Permanent Building Society building.

Demolition of Buildings, Market Street, Stafford,

The buildings on Market Street looked Georgian from their facades, but when they were demolished they were found to be mainly of timber frame construction. They were dated from the fifteenth or sixteenth ...

Demolition of Oaken Lodge, Codsall

Oaken Lodge stood on Oaken Lanes, Codsall

Demolition of the B.R.C. Factory, Stafford,

The British Reinforced Concrete Engineering Company manufactured reinforced concrete structures and made steel mesh for reinforcing concrete. The company moved from Manchester to Stafford in 1926, building ...

Demolition of the Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The prison gate-house was demolished in 1952 in order to widen Gaol Road. The new gate-house, seen on the left, was built by the prisoners before the old one was destroyed.