Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 91 1626 Records Found

19 Victoria Street, Wolverhampton

Despite the misleading sign over the first floor window, this timber-framed building dates from the early 17th century, and not from 1300. It stands on the corner of Victoria Street and St. John Street, ...

29 Lichfield Street, Hanley

This is the Adam's Sewing Machine (sales and repairs) shop at 29 Lichfield Street in Hanley. Bert Bentley thought this must have been the smallest shop in The Potteries. The shop was in the northern part ...

73-77 High Street, Eccleshall

This view was taken on the south side of the High Street in Eccleshall. On the right is I. Stanejko's boot and shoe repair shop and above there is an advertising sign for Cherry Blossom shoe polish. All ...

A decorated Palace Cinema, George Street, Tamworth

The first Palace Cinema can be seen here decorated to celebrate the Coronation of George V. The early 20th century Palace cinema was the old music hall and stood on the site of [what is now] Burtons shop ...

A view of Aldergate Street, Tamworth

The passage way in between the buildings once led to Ernest George Edmund Soles' slaughter house. In 2003 the Tamworth Times was located here.

A view of Church Street, Tamworth

A view of the eastern end of Church Street. On the right can be seen one of Tamworth's oldest pub, The Stone Cross. The new Co-op is on the left, built in 1896, with the Paregoric shop further down the ...

A. Bentley & Co., grocers and bakers, Railway Street, Stafford

Exterior of A. Bentley & Co., grocers, bakers and provision merchants at 1 & 2, Railway Street, Stafford. Albert Bentley was born at Weston, near Stafford in 1879. He opened his first shop at Railway ...

A.J. Talbot & Son, boot dealers and manufacturers, Eccleshall

A.J. Talbot and Son's shop on High Street, Eccleshall. They were boot and dealers and manufacturers. As well as bespoke boots and shoes, they made leggings, carried out repairs and stocked Lotus, Ariel, ...

A.P. Tiley, pharmacist and optician, Burslem

A.P. Tiley's pharmacist and opticians shop front at the Market Place, Burslem. The business was established in the 1850s. Image from 'Staffordshire Past and Present: An Historical Pictorial & Descriptive ...

A.W. Tilley, photographers, Radford Street, Stone

A.W. Tilley's photography studio, newsagents and stationers at 7, Radford Street, Stone. Arthur William Tilley was a prolific photographer and publisher of postcards between 1896 and around 1912. He ...

Abbots Bromley Horn Dance

Abbots Bromley Horn Dancers performing by the Butter Cross. In the background can be seen Crown Bank with the Crown Inn and Wheeldon's taklors and outfitters shop. he horn dance is an annual event ...

Advertisement for Frank Flint, Wine and Spirit Merchant, Victoria Buildings, Longton

Frank Flint was a wine and spirit merchant with a secure store at the rear of the shop premises in Victoria Buildings, Market Street, Longton. Stoneware flagons were made which contained the drinks sold ...

Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,

Tea wrapper from William Marson's grocery business, established in the High House in 1827. The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The timber was said to have come ...

Advertising Cart on Liverpool Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Cattle pulling 'Atora' beef-suet cart as an advertising gimmick.

Advertising postcard, F.H. Burgess, Eccleshall

Postcard advertising horse-drawn cultivators supplied by F.H. Burgess of Eccleshall, who were well-known locally as agricultural and horticultural engineers, suppliers and ironmongers for over a century. Frederick ...

Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

View of the Market Square, which until 1953 was used as a car park. In the centre is the Shire Hall, with the Lloyds Bank building to its left. On the far left is the new Guildhall, constructed ...

Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

View over Greengate Street and down Martin Street. On the right can be seen the timber framed buildings of the Bear Inn and the Ancient High House. To the left of the Bear Inn is Mottram's Jewellers. In ...

After the fire at Huggins and Chambers, High Street, Uttoxeter

Huggins and Chambers ironmongers, and vendor of "Witchem's Firelighters", 3 High Street. This image is No.1 in a series of postcards by Alfred McCann, taken in the aftermath of the fire which completely ...