Theme Explorer

Start Again > Business, Trade & Industry > Gas, Elecricity & Water
Page 1 of 12 215 Records Found

Aerial view of Stafford Gas Works

Aerial photograph of Stafford Gas works on Chell Road. The River Sow is on the left of the site. The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when ...

Aerial View of Stafford,

View of Stafford from the south, with Brunswick Terrace and the offices and workshops of the Midlands Electricity Board filling the bottom left hand corner of the image. Friars Terrace is at the middle ...

ALSTOM Power, Distribution Services

In the spring of 2001 ALSTOM Power Distribution Services had recently taken delivery of this new girder frame trailer, known as A500. The photograph shows the trailer, nearly 100 metres long, being moved ...

Alstom, Hixon, Stafford

Employees, engineers and managers are pictured with the Mayor of Stafford, Councillor Harry Brunt in the Test Laboratory at the Hixon site on New Road, Hixon. The Mayor was there to officially open newly ...

Alstom, Hixon, Stafford

Managers and engineers are pictured with the Mayor of Stafford, Councillor Harry Brunt after he officially opened the newly refurbished Offices and Canteen facilities at the Hixon site, on New Road, Hixon. Among ...

Alstom, Lichfield Road, Stafford

Pictured at a Retirement and Long Service Reception at the New Hough are employees of ALSTOM Transmission and Distribution Projects Ltd (known as TDPL or Tadpole by employees), later known as Alstom Power ...

Alstom, Lichfield Road, Stafford

Pictured in the Queensville area of the Lichfield Road site in Stafford is one of a pair of Faun Goliath tractors. These huge tractors were used along with girder beam trailers to move large and heavy ...

Alstom, St. Leonard's Works, Stafford

Pictured during a refreshment break in a Quality Focus meeting at St Leonard's Works are (from left to right): David Buckless, unknown, David Pearson, David Tipper, Chris Tilstone, Robin Millar and an ...

Battery Electric Shunter, GEC Turbine Generators Ltd., Stafford

This 70hp Battery Electric Locomotive is pictured close to the One Million Volts Test facility by the GEC Switchgear Division buildings adjacent to the West Coast Main Line and near to GEC Turbine Generators ...

Birchenwood Gas Producer

In 1909 a range of 13 Mond gas producers were installed at Birchenwood. Before Natural Gas was discovered, Town Gas produced from coal was used. The process consisted of heating coal in enclosed retorts, ...

Blithfield Reservoir

This postcard view shows the causeway carrying the B5013 across Blithfield Reservoir. Blithfield is the largest reservoir in Staffordshire, being 2 miles (3.2km) long, covering an area of 790 acres ...

Blyth Pottery, Longton

This is the rear of Blyth Pottery on Sandgate Street (previously Gate Street) in Longton. The front of the works, operated by John Tams & Sons Ltd., was on Uttoxeter Road. These works produced earthenware. ...

Bratch Pump House, Wombourne

Built in 1895 as a pumping station for Bilston Water Works, it was officially opened in 1897 and stands next to the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal at the Bratch, near Wombourne. It became redundant ...

Brindley Bank Pump House, Rugeley

Brindley Bank Pump House was opened in 1905 and was built by the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company. It contained a horizontal tandem compound pumping engine made by Hathorn Davey of Leeds in 1903....

Brindley Mill pumping station, Rugeley

Brindley Bank Pump House was opened in 1905 and was built by the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company. It contained a horizontal tandem compound pumping engine made by Hathorn Davey of Leeds in 1903. ...

Caldon Canal and waterworks at Stockton Brook

The view north along the Caldon Canal near middle lock at Stockton Brook. To the right is the chimney of Stockton Brook Waterworks. The waterworks were built in 1884 by the Staffordshire Potteries Water ...

Chell Road Gasometer, Stafford,

The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when the works were taken over by the West Midland Gas Board, none of the original buildings remained. The ...

Cliff Vale Engineering works, Shelton New Road, Stoke-on-Trent

Cliff Vale Engineering was on Shelton New Road. Behind the works is a cooling tower and gas holder belonging to Etruria gasworks. The site today is occupied by a timber merchant.