Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 6 99 Records Found

Alfred Ernest Haywood, St Mary's Place, Stafford

Alfred Ernest Haywood, Stafford's Chief Fire Officer, pictured with his dog 'Old Don' in the back yard at his home, 6 St. Mary's Place, Stafford, which has since been demolished to make space for the ...

Barn fire, Blackberry Lane Farm, Doxey

Fifty tons of the season's hay on fire in a barn at Mr. Enoch Brown's Blackberry Lane Farm at Doxey, Stafford. Despite the strenuous efforts of the Fire Brigade, practically the whole of the hay was destroyed. This ...

Bostock's Factory Fire, Stafford,

Edwin Bostock's shoe factory was originally in Foregate Street, Stafford, but was destroyed by fire in 1901. This resulted in a new factory being built on Sandon Road, which opened in 1903. Bostock's ...

Bostock's shoe factory fire, Stafford

Firemen hosing down a building during a major fire at Edwin Bostock's shoe factory, Foregate Street, Stafford. Edwin Bostock's shoe factory was originally in Foregate Street, Stafford, but was destroyed ...

Bridge Street Fire Station, Stafford,

The fire station was built in 1885 at the junction of Greengate Street and Bridge Street, next to the Royal Brine Baths. The baths incorporated an open-sided tower which was used by the firemen for drying ...

Burslem Fire Brigade

The plaque on the fire engine in this photograph tells us that this is the County Borough of Stoke-on-Trent Burslem District Fire brigade.

Burslem Fire Brigade

Watch on Youtube
 Youtube Video

This is an extract from a feature film made in Burslem in the Potteries in the summer of 1918, and shown in September. It shows the turn-out of the Burslem Fire Brigade – a typical action scene in early ...

Captain Alfred Ernest Haywood, Stafford

Captain Alfred Ernest Haywood (1876-1958) was chief officer of Stafford Fire Brigade between 1920 and 1941. He also managed three Stafford public houses: the New Inn at 27 Broad Eye, 1902-1919; the Maid's ...

Captain Alfred Ernest Haywood, Stafford Fire Brigade

Alfred Ernest Haywood (1876-1958) was born in Newcastle under Lyme, one of 14 children brought up by Alfred and Annie Haywood. The family settled in Thornton's Buildings in Cherry Street, Stafford. Alfred ...

Cheadle Fire Brigade

Cheadle Fire Brigade outside the Town Hall, Cheadle. The Town Hall was built in 1894 and also included a library. It was later the home of the Osborne Cinema. Although the facade remains the rear of ...

Chief Fire Officer Alfred Haywood and the Mayor of Stafford

Alfred Ernest Haywood, Chief Officer of the Stafford Fire Brigade, greets the Mayor, Alderman G. Owen, J.P. on the steps of the Borough Hall, now (2021) the Gatehouse Theatre. This was part of a civic ...

Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford

Mayor William Thomas Richardson and Mayoress Emily Richardson of Stafford christening a new fire engine on Market Square. The fire engine was named 'Emily' after the Mayoress. The fireman on the right ...

Civic Parade, Stone,

Parade of police and firemen in the High Street.

Codsall Forget-Me-Not Club on fire

Codsall wartime Fire Service

Pictured standing from left to right are Maisie Burd, M. Sharples and leading fireman Bickley. Seated are Olwyn Beech and Joan Beech. The Fire Service was centred at 'The Terrace' in Oaken, which ...

Currys fire on Greengate Street, Stafford

Firemen clearing up after the fire at Currys electrical goods store in the mid to late 1980s. After this fire Currys moved to Gaolgate Street.

Dragging the Mill Pond, Great Haywood

The fire brigade and villagers draining the mill pond. The steam engine was from Ingestre. In March 1905 Mrs Challenor, the wife of the Town Clerk of Hanley, and her niece, were being driven across ...

Duke of Kent Inspecting the Auxiliary Fire Brigade, Stafford

The Auxiliary Fire Brigade being presented to the Duke of Kent, Market Square. The Duke is speaking with Percy Moss, a former Royal Navy stoker. This photograph was taken shortly after their return ...