Theme Explorer

Start Again > Buildings, Architecture, Monuments > Stately Homes & Large Country Houses
Page 1 of 105 1887 Records Found

A Bedroom and Sitting Room at Wootton Lodge

Looking through an arch from one of the bedrooms to a small sitting room at Wootton Lodge. Photographed by Country Life in March 1959. Wootton Lodge was built as a hunting lodge by Sir Richard Fleetwood ...

A Bedroom at Beaudesert Hall

There were many bedrooms at Beaudesert. In this photograph the bed has a Venetian-patterned silk damask cover and the headboard is covered with a similar type of material. Beaudesert Hall was the ...

A Bedroom at Beaudesert Hall

Pictured is one of the bedrooms from a group of rooms located above the Long Gallery known as “The Nurseries”. As with many rooms at Beaudesert the walls were hung with Chinese wallpaper and here it ...

A Bedroom at Beaudesert Hall

There were many bedrooms at Beaudesert. This panelled room with a stone fireplace is thought to be one of the bedrooms from a group of rooms located above the Long Gallery known as “The Nurseries”. Beaudesert ...

A Bedroom at Beaudesert Hall

There were many bedrooms at Beaudesert. In this photograph the bed has a Venetian-patterned silk damask cover, the headboard and hangings are of a similar type of material. Beaudesert Hall was the ...

A Bedroom at Wootton Lodge

Pictured is one of the bedrooms at Wootton Lodge, photographed by Country Life in March 1959. Wootton Lodge was built as a hunting lodge by Sir Richard Fleetwood between about 1580 and 1610. It was ...

A Bedroom at Wootton Lodge

Pictured is one of the bedrooms at Wootton Lodge. Photographed by Country Life and featured in their magazine in March 1959. The panelling dates from around 1700. Wootton Lodge was built as a hunting ...

A Corridor at Beaudesert Hall

Pictured is an original timber-framed passage leading to the Billiard Room. The passage was renovated after the 1909 fire and the old carved oak arch (which did not belong to the house) was added. Beaudesert ...

A Corridor at Beaudesert Hall

Pictured is one of the corridors at Beaudesert Hall. Beaudesert Hall was the mansion of the Pagets, Marquesses of Anglesey. Its core was medieval, with later alterations. James Wyatt and Joseph Potter ...

Abbey House, Ranton.

Abbey House, built c.1820, is situated next to the ruined tower of Ranton Abbey (just visible behind the trees on the left). The house was damaged by fire during the Second World War whilst occupied ...

Abbots Bromley - Window Glass at Hall Hill: coloured pencil sketch

Coloured pencil sketch from glass panel. Showing the upper part of man on horseback, waving scimitar, [Wulfric Spot]. Showing the Coat of Arms of Burton Abbey in the corner.Anonymous [S. Shaw].[The original ...

Adams Butter's First Show Trailer, Ball Haye Hall

Fred Adams Snr. bought a small diary farm on Buxton Road in 1870, and his son Fred began making butter there in 1922. The business was ground-breaking, being the first in the country to produce pre-packed ...

Adbaston Hall

Adbaston Hall was built in 1725 near the church to replace the old manor house, although it was extensively remodeled in the early 19th century.

Aerial view of Bilbrook Manor, Bilbrook

This aerial photograph of Bilbrook Manor was taken from the south (Pendeford, Wolverhampton direction). It displays the extensive plot and gardens which the manor contained. The Twentyman family lived ...

Aerial View of Darlaston Hall, Stone,

The Darlaston estate was owned by Burton Abbey, but during the Reformation the estate was sold to James Collier, a wool merchant. The estate was sold to William Jervis of Meaford in 1655, and it remained ...

Aerial view of Farley Hall

The Farley estate passed to Richard Bill of Norbury, Derbyshire by marriage in 1607. He built Farley Hall shortly afterwards. There were extensive alterations in 1784. The Hall was later a Youth ...

Aerial View of Meaford Hall, Stone,

Photograph taken from a sale catalogue. A hall has stood on this site since the seventeenth century. Towards the end of the century a William Jervis of Chatcull bought the estate, and in 1740 soldiers ...

Aerial View of Stafford Castle,

The castle to the south-west of the town was built in the fourteenth century by Ralph de Stafford, on the site of an earlier Norman wooden castle. In December 1643, during the English Civil War (after ...