Theme Explorer

Start Again > Archaeology & Ancient Sites > Religious & Ceremonial Sites
Page 1 of 5 77 Records Found

All Saints Church and graveyard, Dilhorne

Assorted styles of 18th and 19th century memorials can be seen in the graveyard surrounding the church. The Church of All Saints has one of the few octagonal towers in the country. The lower part of ...

All Saints' Church tower, Dilhorne

All Saints Church is a Grade II Listed Building, the oldest parts being of 13th century origin. The octagonal church tower is a rare feature in England.

All Saints' Church, Dilhorne

All Saints Church is a Grade II Listed Building, the oldest parts being of 13th century origin. The octagonal church tower is a rare feature.

All Saints' Church, Dilhorne

All Saints Church is a Grade II Listed Building, the oldest parts being of 13th century origin. The stepped, octagonal church tower is a rare feature in England. There is the Grade II listed chest ...

All Saints' Church, Dilhorne

All Saints Church is a Grade II Listed Building, the oldest parts being of 13th century origin. The octagonal church tower is a rare feature.

Bethesda Chapel, Hanley

This is an interior photograph of Bethesda Chapel taken in April 1949. The people standing on the balcony, in the top right corner of the photograph, are the choir. Built in 1819, Bethesda Chapel is an ...

Biddulph Moor - Ground Plan of the Bride-Stones: engraving

'Ground Plan of the Bride-Stones.' The stones are lettered but the key is lacking. Scale: 0.5 inches to 5 [?feet].With letterpress on the back. From the book 'The Borough of Stoke on Trent', by J Ward....

Biddulph Moor - The Bride-Stones: engraving (vignetted)

'The Bride-Stones.' Showing a group of stones, with two people standing among them.Taken from 'Sir W. Beetham, `Gael and Cymbri,' p. 202.' Anonymous.

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : engraving

Details of the north and south doors (Norman), a floor tile, and Dame Joan's tomb-stone, 1669. With inscription.'D. Parkes, del., [drawn,] 15 July 1807; J. Basire, sc., [engraved.]'

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : engraving

'Remains of the Priory Church at White Ladies, Shropshire.''D. Parkes, del., [drawn,] 15 July 1807; J. Basire, sc., [engraved.]'

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : engraving

Showing floor tiles discovered at Whiteladies.Anonymous.

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : sepia drawing

Twelfth century ruin, showing the north wall of the church, with four nave windows and the arch to the transept. Also shows the north door at the western end (before the buttress.)'J. C Buckler.'

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : sepia drawing

Showing details of the remains:1. The capitals to the transept arch.2. The small window to the nave, with a dripstone.3. The north door, with part of the arch and one capital to arch.'J.B.,' [John Buckler.]...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Bleak Hill

Map of Bleak Hill, an area just south of Burslem town centre. This area is known as Cobridge these days. Waterloo Road, the main road out of Burslem, runs down the centre of the map. The expanse of ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Brownhills

Map showing Brownhills, an area to the north-west of Burslem town centre. High Street (now Brownhills Road), running down the centre if the map, runs up into Tunstall. Liverpool Road is now called ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Brownhills

Map showing the area known as Brownhills. It is situated to the north-west of Burslem town centre. Why were the maps made? This series of maps was surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department in 1851 ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem

Map showing the area to the north-west of Burslem town centre. Liverpool Road is now known as Westport Road. Why were the maps made? This series of maps was surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem

Map of the southern part of Burslem town centre including St. John's Church and graveyard. Bourne's Bank, Navigation Road and Pleasant Street are still features of modern Burslem. The open land ...