Theme Explorer

Start Again > Archaeology & Ancient Sites > Excavations & Reconstructions
Page 1 of 3 41 Records Found

Aerial reconstruction of Catholme Anglo-Saxon Settlement

Based on map and documentary evidence , this view shows a suggested reconstruction of the Anglo-Saxon settlement at Catholme, near Burton-on-Trent. The image is overlaid on the original archaeological ...

Archaeological Excavations, Garshall Green

Stoke-on-Trent Museum Archaeological Society undertook excavations from 1997 to 2003. The main feature to emerge was a house platform belonging to what is now thought to be a 17th or 18th century peasant ...

Arches in Stoke-on-Trent Churchyard

This view of St. Peter's Church, Stoke-on-Trent is from Church Street. The arches in the foreground are the ruins of a Saxon and a later twelfth century church. The remains of the medieval church were ...

Blithewood Moat, Checkley

Blithewood moat in winter, showing the raised bank between the double moat. This area is thought to be the site of an 11th century fortified manor house. The site is a rare and unusual example in Staffordshire ...

Carved Stone Heads, Codsall

Stone carved heads found during building work on the site of Brabourne House on the corner of Sandy lane and Drury Lane, near Codsall church, date unknown. Could they be from the church or are they Victorian ...

Castle excavations, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Archeologists are pictured here during the excavation of the castle site in Newcastle. These excavations discovered old masonry from the castle, the foundations of a gatehouse in John of Gaunt's Road, ...

Castle Site Excavations, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Excavations at the Castle Site were conducted by Thomas Pape in the 1930s. Surprisingly few actual objects were recovered – only the large sandstone foundations and decayed wood were revealed (as seen ...

Chesterton Park, Chesterton

Photograph of the ice-house just after its discovery, probably used by Hall.

Chesterton Park, Chesterton

Photograph of the ice-house discovered, probably used by Hall.

Chesterton Park, Chesterton

Photograph of the ice house discovered, probably used by the Hall. Ice houses are buildings used to store ice throughout the year before the invention of refrigerators. During the winter, ice and ...

Excavating the mill wheel, White Barn Farm, Shugborough

Members of Staffordshire Industrial Archaeology Society excavating the iron mill wheel which drove a water powered threshing machine at White Barn Farm on the Shugborough Estate. White Barn was built ...

Excavation of Queen's Low Barrow, Tixall, (1)

Queen's Low is a burial mound located near Lower Hanyards. The mound dates from the late Neolithic or early Bronze Age (2400 - 1500 BC), and is known as a 'bowl' barrow because of its shape.

Excavation of Queen's Low Barrow, Tixall, (2)

Queen's Low is a burial mound located near Lower Hanyards. The mound dates from the late Neolithic or early Bronze Age (2400 - 1500 BC), and is known as a 'bowl' barrow because of its shape.

Excavation of St. Bertelin's Church, Stafford

Mr. A. H. Oswald, Keeper of Archaeology at Birmingham Museum, describing the progress of excavations on the site of St. Bertelin's Chapel in St. Mary's churchyard to members of the Old Stafford Society. ...

Excavation of the Old Town Wall, Stafford,

The junction of Mill Bank and Greengate Street was the site of the medieval Green Gate, the main entrance to the walled town. In 1928 the council purchased the buildings along Mill Bank Corner, in ...

Excavation of the Wash Pit Railings, Eccleshall, (1)

The Wash Pit, or Sheep Pool, on Church Street was a pond fed by a spring. After a fire at the church in 1868 the need for a water supply became apparent. In 1890 the Wash Pit was cleaned out and deepened ...

Excavation of the Wash Pit Railings, Eccleshall, (2)

The Wash Pit, or Sheep Pool, on Church Street was a pond fed by a spring. After a fire at the church in 1868 the need for a water supply became apparent. In 1890 the Wash Pit was cleaned out and deepened ...

Glassworks, Eccleshall, (2)

Crucibles, for melting a sand and ash mixture. These remains of Tudor glassworks were found in Bishop's Wood in the 1930s. Although heavily restored, they are one of the most complete examples of ...