Theme Explorer

Start Again > Religion & Beliefs > Monuments & Memorials
Page 1 of 18 324 Records Found

Adam Bede's Grave, Ellastone

Graves belonging to the Evans family in the churchyard of St. Peter's Church, Ellastone. George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) based her novel 'Adam Bede' on Ellastone, named as Hayslope in the book which was ...

Aldridge Church: water colour painting

South west view of the church showing the tower and the south porch. There is a house to the right of the church. Also showing a drawing of the 'Monument of Robert Stapleton.' Anonymous, [S. Shaw.]

All Saints Church and graveyard, Dilhorne

Assorted styles of 18th and 19th century memorials can be seen in the graveyard surrounding the church. The Church of All Saints has one of the few octagonal towers in the country. The lower part of ...

All Saints' Church interior, Dilhorne

The interior of the chancel. Pevsner stated "the chancel is late-medieval but over-restored (by Christian)' and described the oak altar rail as 'Jacobean'. The church contains a list of vicars ...

All Saints' Church tower, Dilhorne

All Saints Church is a Grade II Listed Building, the oldest parts being of 13th century origin. The octagonal church tower is a rare feature in England.

All Saints' Church, Dilhorne

All Saints Church is a Grade II Listed Building, the oldest parts being of 13th century origin. The octagonal church tower is a rare feature.

All Saints' Church, Dilhorne

Stained-glass memorial window dated 1911. The Church of All Saints has one of the few octagonal towers in the country. The lower part of the tower is early 13th century and Perpendicular above. the ...

All Saints' Church, Dilhorne

All Saints Church is a Grade II Listed Building, the oldest parts being of 13th century origin. The octagonal church tower is a rare feature.

All Saints' Church, Dilhorne

All Saints Church is a Grade II Listed Building, the oldest parts being of 13th century origin. The stepped, octagonal church tower is a rare feature in England. There is the Grade II listed chest ...

Alrewas War Memorial

The First World War Memorial situated on Main Street at the junction with Post Office Road. This area was formerly known as 'The Green'.

Anglo-Zulu War Memorial, Lichfield Cathedral

Detail of the wrought iron screen commemorating the men of the 80th (South Staffordshire) Regiment who fell in the Sekukuni and Zulu Campaigns in South Africa, 1878-1879. The memorial comprises five inscribed ...

Anson Street, Rugeley

A quiet Wednesday morning in Anson Street. On the left is the Police Station with three Police Officers in conversation by a motor-scooter parked on the road. On the right is the Post Office where two ...

Anson Street, Rugeley

This postcard scene is a Staffordshire County Library reprint of an old postcard. It shows the War Memorial in Anson Street looking towards the Market Square. On the left is the Palace Theatre and ...

Armistice Sunday Parade, Eccleshall

The parade passing through the lychgate at Holy trinity church, Eccleshall on Armistice Sunday. In the background is the war memorial.

Armistice Sunday, Eccleshall

Attendees observing a minute's silence at the Armistice Sunday service in the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church, eccleshall

Armitage Church

This image of St. John the Baptist Church, Armitage, is taken from a glass negative and the picture is of the consecration of an extension to the churchyard. With the exception of the tower, which ...

Armitage Church - 'Founder's tomb' : sepia drawing

'Recess on the North side of the North Aisle of Armitage Church, Staffordshire,' showing a skeleton (newly excavated), lying under the recess, the arch of which has 'dog-tooth' moulding. 'J. B.,' [John ...

Armitage Churchyard Cross

This view of a Cross in Armitage Churchyard is taken from a glass negative. The Cross is a replica made from Norman fragments. It was given to Armitage Church around 1845-1847 by Josiah Spode at the ...