Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 4 58 Records Found

Arthur Johnson, butcher, Salt

Arthur Johnson, a butcher from Salt, with his son Reg delivering meat in villages around Stafford circa 1911. Reg, who was the eldest of seven children, ran the Sandon store during the war, later ran ...

Besom maker, Cannock Chase

Photographed by B. Karleese somewhere on Cannock Chase, this besom maker is splitting willow or ash to make the binding needed to tie the birch twigs (which make up the head of the besom) to an ash handle....

Blacksmith, Stone,

Mr Salmon, blacksmith at Stonefield Forge.

Blacksmith, Stone,

Mr Salmon, blacksmith at Stonefield Forge.

Blacksmith's shop, Yoxall

Exterior of blacksmith's shop, looking to the east. This was one of a number of blacksmith's workshops which belonged to C.J. Perkins, agricultural implement makers of Yoxall. This shop was converted ...

Bradbury's Wheelwrights, Great Haywood

The Bradbury family were farmers and blacksmiths. They owned Elm Farm, which was demolished in 1967 to make way for modern housing. Wheelwrights made and repaired wheels for horse-drawn vehicles. ...

Bradley village,

View from Almshouse Croft looking towards Chapel Lane (left) and Church Lane (right), with St Mary and All Saints Church in the distance.

Brocton smithy

Samuel Buttery was the village blacksmith. He is seen here shoeing a horse. The smithy stood on the Green in the centre of Brocton village.

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Bleak Hill

Map of Bleak Hill, an area just south of Burslem town centre. This area is known as Cobridge these days. Waterloo Road, the main road out of Burslem, runs down the centre of the map. The expanse of ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Brownhills

Map showing the area known as Brownhills. It is situated to the north-west of Burslem town centre. Why were the maps made? This series of maps was surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department in 1851 ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Brownhills

Map showing Brownhills, an area to the north-west of Burslem town centre. High Street (now Brownhills Road), running down the centre if the map, runs up into Tunstall. Liverpool Road is now called ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem

Map showing the area to the north-west of Burslem town centre. Liverpool Road is now known as Westport Road. Why were the maps made? This series of maps was surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem

Map of the southern part of Burslem town centre including St. John's Church and graveyard. Bourne's Bank, Navigation Road and Pleasant Street are still features of modern Burslem. The open land ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem and Kilncroft

Map showing the east side of Burslem town centre and outlying area. The area below Chapel Lane and along Nile Street appears to have been called Kilncroft at the time. This is the approximate location ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem and Surrounding Area

Map covering the area to the north-east of Burslem town centre as far as the parish borders with Wolstanton and Norton-in-the-Moors. This area is now the site of the Park Road and Stanfields estates, ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem and Surrounding Area

Map including Burslem town centre, Sneyd, Rushton Grange, Cobridge and Abbey Hulton. The map provides good general detail of Burslem town centre. The layout of the town is very similar to today. The ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem Town Centre

Map showing the southern area of Burslem town centre and Waterloo Road. Bethel Chapel, The Mitre Inn and The Waterloo and American Hotel buildings can still be found in these locations today. The ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Burslem Town Centre

Map showing the northern edge of Burslem town centre. Liverpool Road, to the bottom left of the map, is now known as Westport Road. New Road, running from the top centre of the map, is now known ...