Theme Explorer

Start Again > Parks & Gardens > Playgrounds
Page 1 of 2 30 Records Found
12

Alton Towers

An engraving of Alton Towers published in the 'Illustrated London News' in 1844. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852. The ...

Armoury Tower and Main Entrance, Alton Towers

The Armoury Tower and main entrance to Alton Towers. On the right is the Chapel. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852. This tower ...

Armoury Tower, Alton Towers

The Armoury Tower and main entrance to Alton Towers. On the right is the Chapel. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852. This tower ...

Boating Lake, Alton Towers

A view of the Boating Lake at Alton Towers. The gardens at Alton Towers re-opened to the public after World War II in 1952. During the 1960s, under the management of Denis and Anthony Bagshaw, Alton ...

Cable Car, Alton Towers

The Cable Cars were introduced to Alton Towers in 1963 and originally consisted of 14 cars for four passengers, built by British Ropeway Engineering. It closed in 1986. The gardens at Alton Towers ...

Children on the igloo, Derrington

On the 'igloo' on Derrington playing fields, all the village children in 1984. At the front are (left) Gillian Cox, Parish Councilor for Derrington, and Mrs Sue Edwards, the Treasurer of Derrington Playing ...

Children's playground, Tenterbanks, Stafford

The play facilities were added to Victoria Park in 1930. At the far edge of the playground is the River Sow and beyond are buildings on South Street.

Donkey Rides, Alton Towers

The gardens at Alton Towers re-opened to the public after World War II in 1952. During the 1960s, under the management of Denis and Anthony Bagshaw, Alton Towers became an increasingly popular visitor ...

Entrance to the Gardens, Alton Towers

A view of the gardens at Alton Towers, with the Memorial to the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury on the right. The Memorial was erected in about 1830 by his nephew John, the 16th Earl. It is a copy of the Choragic ...

Fairground, Alton Towers

Pictured are the helter-skelter and merry-go-rounds at the Alton Towers Fairground, largely run by Brian Collins. There was also a slide, bumber cars and roundabouts. The gardens at Alton Towers re-opened ...

Florence Wood, Lotus Ltd, Stone

Mrs Florence Wood was cheief examiner at the Lotus Ltd shoe factory, Stone. She began her working life with Mason and Marson in Stafford, and the joined Peach's after the First World War. She retired ...

John Hudson and Gary Platt , Uttoxeter recreation ground

John Hudson and Gary Platt (cousin) - Uttoxeter recreation ground.

Light Railway, Alton Towers

The railway opened in 1953 and ran along a 700 yard long track between Alton Towers' Ingestre Station and Chinese Temple for over forty years until its closure in 1996. The locomotive in this postcard ...

Maypole dancing, Clayton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Maypole dancing on traditionally happened on May Day each year. This photograph was taken at 'Redgate' which is the field next to Clayton Green.

Paddling Pool, Alton Towers

The Paddling Pool was sited at the western end of the Boating Lake. The gardens at Alton Towers re-opened to the public after World War II in 1952. During the 1960s, under the management of Denis and ...

Play area on Lovatt Street, Stafford,

Playground, Holmcroft Primary School, Stafford,

Sea Lions, Alton Towers

The sea lions were a popular attraction at Alton Towers between 1967 and 1990. Their pool was at the northern end of the Boating Lake but was filled in during 1994. The gardens at Alton Towers re-opened ...

12