Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 37 651 Records Found

1812 List of the Poor Relieved by the Parish of Burslem - Document from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

In the early 1800s the Parish of Burslem was responsible for organising poor relief for the townspeople. Local printer John Tregortha regularly produced an account of all out-of-work potters in the ...

1813 Report of the State of the Poor in the Parish of Burslem - Document from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

This document provides an account of benefit payments in Burslem at the end of January 1813. In 1811, the town's population had been 8,625. In January 1813, 1,335 of these were receiving relief ...

1813 Report of the State of the Poor in the Parish of Burslem - Enoch Wood Scrapbook

This list, compiled by Burslem's Parish Churchwardens, reveals some of the town's unemployment problems in the period around Christmas 1812 and January of the following year. The rates 'Rates' collected ...

1813 Report on the State of the Poor in the Parish of Burslem - Document from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

This document provides an account of benefit payments in Burslem at the end of January 1813. In 1811, the town's population had been 8,625. In January 1813, 1,335 of these were receiving relief ...

A House of Industry for Burslem and Wolstanton? News of a meeting from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

This meeting was held on Tuesday 18 February 1794 to discuss the possibility of building a House of Industry to administer relief to the poor of Burslem and Wolstanton. Parliament will have to agree ...

A List of Persons Receiving Relief from the Parish of Wolstanton - from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

Family historians may relish this revealing booklet, which reports on the poverty suffered by the residents of Wolstanton, in Newcastle-under-Lyme, during 1830-1. It was commissioned by a parish committee ...

A.P. Tiley, pharmacist and optician, Burslem

A.P. Tiley's pharmacist and opticians shop front at the Market Place, Burslem. The business was established in the 1850s. Image from 'Staffordshire Past and Present: An Historical Pictorial & Descriptive ...

Abbots Bromley Almshouses: sepia drawing

'Almshouses at Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire,' showing the front of the building facing the street, with a classical double doorway and a path railed from the street.'J. Buckler.'

Abbots Bromley Almshouses: sepia wash drawing

'Bagot's Arms Houses (sic), Abbots Bromley,' showing a view looking up the street on the left. The gable end of a timbered house is on the right hand side of the lane leading up to the church. Showing ...

Abbots Bromley Old Houses: sepia drawing

'Old Houses in Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire,' showing timbered houses with two gables, located on the corner of land leading to church. The almshouses are on the left.'J. Buckler.'

Adult Suppository Mould

The pharmacist would use this mould to make suppositories - a way of applying medicine internally. The medicaments would be mixed in a base made from cocoa butter or glycerine and gelatine, poured in ...

Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

View of the Market Square, which until 1953 was used as a car park. In the centre is the Shire Hall, with the Lloyds Bank building to its left. On the far left is the new Guildhall, constructed ...

Aerial view of Cheshire Joint Sanatorium, Loggerheads

The Cheshire Joint Sanatorium stood in 250 acres of woodlands. Opened in 1923 the only treatment available was rest, quiet, good food, sunshine and fresh air. There was no heating in the buildings and ...

Aerial view of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Aerial View of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Alfred Parker, Chemist, High Street, Uttoxeter

Advertisement for Alfred Parker, manufacturing pharmacist, optician, dentist, and practical photographic chemist, 9 High Street, Uttoxeter.

Almshouses, Bridge Street, Newcastle-Under-Lyme

View of Almshouses looking north-east taken from St. Giles tower. Prior to their demolition in 1964. They were pulled down to make way for the ring road. In 1688 the Duke of Albemarle bequeathed £6000 ...

Almshouses, High Street, Kinver

The buildings with two bay windows in the centre of this view of the High Street were almshouses at numbers 47 and 48. They were demolished in 1972.