Theme Explorer

Start Again > Museum Explorer

Refine By Selecting a Sub Theme

Brampton Museum(4)Potteries Museum(3)
Page 1 of 1 7 Records Found
1

A 'Sister Dora' Nurse's Cap

This cap was made by the company 'Sister Dora' which would have taken its name from the well loved Anglican nun and nurse Sister Dora from Walsall (1832-1878). This type of small white cap was worn ...

City Central Library and Art Gallery & Museum, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph is looking over the foundations of the City Central Library and Archives building towards the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery. This photograph was taken in 1968, before the museum building ...

J. T. Burke Gramophone Record

J. T. Burke's was a Cycle and 'Gramophone Agent, with a shop at 67 Higherland, Newcastle-under-Lyme. A shop selling cycle's and music may seem like a strange combination but as the number of bicycle ...

Official opening of the Spitfire display, Bethesda Street, Hanley

The "greenhouse" on Bethesda Street housed a Mk XVI Spitfire RW 388. Designed by Butt Lane born engineer, R J Mitchell, the Spitfire was built in 1945 and served with the RAF. This photograph was taken ...

Samuel Mayer's Commemorative Drinking Horn, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This strange drinking vessel has two engraved silver collars and some bullocks legs as a stand. The wording along top collar reads: 'This cup was made from one of the horns of a bullock which was roasted ...

Stoke and Wolstanton Union Workhouse Toothbrush Holder

This ceramic pot is marked 'Stoke and Wolstanton Union, 1922' and came from the workhouse at Chell. A new workhouse was built on Turnhurst Road, Chell in 1838/9, after Tunstall became part of the new ...

The Spitfire, Bethesda Street, Hanley

The temporary "greenhouse" being built to house the Spitfire RW 388 outside the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery in Bethesda Street. This aircraft was manufactured in Castle Bromwich in 1945. Mounted ...

1