Theme Explorer

Start Again > Staffordshire Places
Page 1 of 9 149 Records Found

Abbey Hulton

Abbey Hulton takes its name from the former Hulton Abbey, which was located about half a mile from Milton, on the east side of the road from Stoke to Leek, next to Carmountside Primary School. In the ...

Abbots Bromley

Abbots Bromley is an ancient parish which lies six miles south of Uttoxeter. It originally belonged to Burton Abbey when it was granted to the Abbey by Wulfric Spot in 1004. After the dissolution of the ...

Aerial View of Clayton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

A very different landscape to that of the present. Note the fork in the road to the right of the image - that is the junction between Northwood Lane and Clayton Road, the site of a roundabout today connecting ...

Alrewas

The village of Alrewas could perhaps be described as a village of waterways. It is situated approximately five miles north- east of Lichfield, south of the River Trent and west of the mouth of the River ...

Alstonefield

Alstonefield is a large parish, situated in the Staffordshire Moorlands in one of the most beautiful parts of the county. It lies adjacent to the River Dove and so the county boundary with Derbyshire ...

Alstonefield Sunday School Prize

Presented to John Bonsall in January 1909 by the Vicar of Alstonefield, Rev Llewelyn John Price.

Alton

The village of Alton is situated high above the Churnet Valley, about four miles east from the town of Cheadle and seven miles north west of the town of Uttoxeter. The place name, Alton, derives from ...

Anslow

The rural village of Anslow is situated on the low Needwood Forest plateau about three miles north-west of Burton-upon-Trent. Until 1861 it was a township of the parish of Rolleston. The place name derives ...

Armitage

Armitage is situated in the Trent Valley, close to Rugeley, and adjacent to the Trent and Mersey Canal. The name of this village is known world-wide as a result of the sanitary ware manufactured here ...

Ashley

Description: Ashley is situated in the north-west of Staffordshire. The name appears to be of Anglo-Saxon origin and to mean ‘ash tree clearing’ or ‘ash lea’. In the Domesday Survey of 1086, it appears ...

Audley

Audley is situated in the north-west of the county, bordering onto Cheshire. It is on relatively elevated ground. Once a significant coal mining area which warranted its own Urban District Council until ...

Bagnall

Bagnall is a picturesque village situated in an elevated position, 229 metres above sea level and about three miles north-west of Hanley. It is still very rural and has a walled green in the centre of ...

Barton under Needwood

Barton-under-Needwood is a large village, situated between Burton-upon-Trent and Lichfield just of the A38, the Roman road called Ryknild Street. It was formerly part of the parish of Tatenhill. In the ...

Betley

Betley, once described as “one of the smallest and pleasantest market towns in the county” is situated on the borders of Cheshire, six miles north west of Newcastle–under-Lyme. Originally it was in the ...

Biddulph

Biddulph lies in a valley formed by the Biddulph Brook in the north west of Staffordshire on the county’s boundary with Cheshire. The name Biddulph or Bidolf is Anglo- Saxon and originally means ‘by ...

Blore

The remote village of Blore is situated about four miles to the north west of Ashbourne near the Derbyshire border. The parish also includes the hamlet of Swinscoe. The place name, Blore, is a descriptive ...

Blurton

Once a small rural community, Blurton is now a suburb of the City of Stoke on Trent and is situated about one mile south of Longton and two miles east of Trentham. Originally it included the small hamlets ...

Blymhill

The small village of Blymhill is situated just north of the A5 near Weston-under- Lizard and close to the border with Shropshire. Part of Blymhill still forms part of the estate of the Earls of Bradford ...