Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 7 123 Records Found

Aerial view of Lancashire Dynamo Electronic Products Ltd's factory site, Brereton

The L.D.E.P. factory was built in 1955 with several subsequent extensions. The two and three storey office block at the top of this image dates from 1961; its top storey housed a conference room and ...

Aerial view of Stoke on Trent

An aerial view of part of Stoke on Trent. The railway can be seen running across the middle of the photograph, with the station to the left. The Trent and Mersey Canal is in front of the railway line. ...

Anderton Boat Lift, Northwich

The Anderton Boat Lift is a two caisson lift lock near the village of Anderton, Cheshire, in north-west England. It provides a 50-foot (15.2 m) vertical link between two navigable waterways: the River ...

Anderton Canal Carriers Wharf, Middleport, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph shows two important sites on the Trent & Mersey Canal in Middleport. In the centre is the Anderton Canal Company's warehouse and boat repair yard and beyond Burgess & Leigh's Middleport ...

Anderton Canal Co. Wharf, Navigation Road, Middleport

This photograph was taken just off the southern end of Navigation Road in Middleport. This was at the northern end of the half mile Burslem Branch Canal which came off the Trent & Mersey Canal. The branch ...

Anderton canal wharves, Middleport

The camera is looking northwards along the Trent & Mersey Canal in Middleport. The buildings on the right belonged to the Anderton Canal Company who were one of the three main carriers serving the Potteries ...

Bedford Street Lock and Mellor's Millers on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

This photograph was taken from the Bedford Street Locks (locks 1 and 2) looking north along the Caldon Canal towards Mellor' Mills wharf and works. The canal bends sharply round to the left towards the ...

Bishton Hall - Temple near Wolseley Bridge: sepia wash drawing

Showing a classical Temple in the grounds of Bishton Hall, with one pediment which has been erected over an arched channel [?boathouse], at the side of the river. Wolseley Bridge, with three arches ...

Boat Inn Bridge, Gnosall

Boat Inn Bridge is bridge no.34 on the Shropshire Union Canal. On the other side of the brisge, to the right can be seen the Boat Inn. From the County Archaeology photograph collection held at Staffordshire ...

Boatyard on the Trent and Mersey Canal, Stone

The canal basin and boatyard on the Trent and Mersey Canal at Stone. These 18th and 19th century buildings are now occupied by the Canal Cruising Company, founded in 1948,. In the background can be ...

Bratch Locks, near Wombourne

Bratch Locks stand on the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, which was engineered by James Brindley and opened in May 1772. There are 3 locks at Bratch which are notable for their unusual configuration. ...

Brewood Wharf

Brewood Wharf stands on the Shropshire Union Canal, designed by Thomas Telford and opened in March 1835.

British Waterways Depot, Burslem Branch Canal, Burslem

British Waterways was the authority responsible for maintaining the majority of canals in the United Kingdom. Formed in 1962 it became the Canal & River Trust in 2012. This depot was at the far end of ...

Caldon Canal at Stanley Road, Stockton Brook

Looking east along the Caldon Canal from the Stanley Road bridge in Stockton Brook. The lock is the Top Lock (number 9) on the canal, with boats up to 72 feet long and 7 feet wide able to use the canal. ...

Caldon Canal near Lichfield Street, Stoke-on-Trent

This picture shows the Caldon Canal running past a pottery factory near Lichfield Street in Stoke-on-Trent. Canals were a very important means of transporting raw materials and finished ceramic products: ...

Caldon Canal, Consall

A view of the River Churnet where the Caldon Canal (left) separates from the River Churnet (on the right). Beyond can be seen the bridge which carries the Churnet Valley Railway over the canal, and in ...

Caldon Canal, near Consall

A wooden drawbridge on the Caldon Canal , between Cheddleton and Consall. The Caldon Canal was engineered by James Brindley and opened in 1777 as far as Froghall Wharf.

Canal and Locks, Great Haywood

The lock on the Trent and Mersey Canal by Trent Lane in Great Haywood, with the lock keeper's cottage on the right. This was later (until 2017) the Lock House Restaurant and Tea Rooms. Postcard publisher ...