Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 6 99 Records Found

6th North Staffordshire Regiment, Burton upon Trent

Lantern slide view of soldiers of the 6th North Staffordshire Regiment marching along George Street. The Opera House can be seen to the left. St. George's Hall was built in George Street in 1867 ...

A decorated Palace Cinema, George Street, Tamworth

The first Palace Cinema can be seen here decorated to celebrate the Coronation of George V. The early 20th century Palace cinema was the old music hall and stood on the site of [what is now] Burtons shop ...

Albert Hall Cinema, Interior, Stafford,

The Albert Cinema opened in May 1912 in a former rag and bone warehouse on Crabbery Street. It closed three years later. In 1919 the building was converted into a repertory theatre and remained as ...

Albert Hall Cinema, Stafford,

The Albert Cinema opened in May 1912 in a former rag and bone warehouse on Crabbery Street. It closed three years later. In 1919 the building was converted into a repertory theatre and remained as ...

Albert Hall Theatre, Stafford,

The Albert Cinema opened in May 1912 in a former rag and bone warehouse on Crabbery Street. It closed three years later. In 1919 the building was converted into a repertory theatre and remained as ...

Alhambra Cinema, Longton

Built in 1914 by T C Wild, a Longton pottery owner and future Lord Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent, the Alhambra picture house stood on Upper Normacot Road at the corner of Herbert Road (off to the right). Spring ...

Anglesey Hotel, Market Street, Hednesford

A bus waits outside the Anglesey Hotel on Market Street. The Anglesey Hotel was built in 1831 by Edmund Peel of Tamworth, son of Sir Robert Peel of Drayton Manor; brother to Robert, sometime British Prime ...

Apollo cinema, Stafford

A view of the Odeon Cinema on the corner of the Green and Newport Road, which was opened by the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury in 1936. The opening gala was concluded with a showing of Charlie Chaplin's ...

Avon Players Production of 'Not Now Darling', Stafford,

From left to right are Gordon Fradley, Peter Levy, Pat Hackett and Roy Fox. The set was designed by Ian Tavernor.

Avon Players Production of 'Rookery Nook', Stafford,

This production took place at the Borough Hall, 11-14 February 1952. From left to right: ?, Maureen Acton, Gertrude Dunmore, John Goldsmith, George Strachan and Mary Wood.

Avon Players' Triple Bill, Stafford,

Avon Player's Triple bill of one act plays by George Bernard Shaw. In the centre is the cast of 'Press Cuttings', with 'Man of Destiny' to the right and 'Tons of Money' on the left. Second on the ...

Avon Players, "Johnny Belinda", Stafford

R-L: George Strachan, Eric Copeland, actress Josie Bostock.

Barber's Picture Palace in Hose Street, Tunstall.

Looking along Hose Street towards Roundwell Street with George Barber's cinema on the right hand side. Barber opened the first cinema in the Potteries in Station Road in 1909 and this, "The Regent", in ...

Britannia Picture House, Cheslyn Hay

William 'Neddy' Thacker with horse and cart outside the Britannia Picture House, Rosemary Road, Cheslyn Hay. The cinema opereated during the 1930s and the site is now (2007) occupied by flats at Liberty ...

Broad Sreet, Hanley

Photograph taken looking down Broad Street. The ABC cinema is on the right, showing Tobe Hooper's 1982 film "Poltergeist". The Mitchell Memorial Hall is just down the road from the cinema. On the left ...

Broadway Cinema, Meir

Photograph taken looking south-west. The Broadway cinema was opened on the 14th of December 1936. Built in the Art Deco style, it had an angular design, rounded corners, a "grand staircase" entrance ...

Broadway cinema, Meir. Photographed by William Blake

The Broadway cinema was opened on the 14th of December 1936. Built in the Art Deco style, it had an angular design, rounded corners, a "grand staircase" entrance and seating for 1,000 people. It also ...

Buildings adjacent to Matthew Wardhaugh's theatre, Longton.

Buildings being demolished in The Strand, Longton. Matthew Wardhaugh (1813-188) was born in Whitechapel, London. He was first employed as a call boy at Drury Lane Theatre, then made a living by reciting ...