Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 12 201 Records Found

Abbey House, Ranton.

Abbey House, built c.1820, is situated next to the ruined tower of Ranton Abbey (just visible behind the trees on the left). The house was damaged by fire during the Second World War whilst occupied ...

Aerial view of Oulton Abbey and village, near Stone

Ann aerial view of Oulton, looking north-east, with Oulton Abbey bottom right. Oulton Abbey, formerly Oulton House, was built by Thomas Dent, a solicitor, in about 1720. It was later owned by John ...

Bishop's Palace, St. David's, Pembrokeshire

A view of the Bishop's Palace at St. David's, Pembrokeshire. Photographed by William Blake of Longton.

Blackladies Priory, Brewood

This hand-drawn map, dating from the early 18th century, shows the site of the dissolved priory of Blackladies, near Brewood. The original Benedictine priory was founded circa 1150 and dissolved in 1538; ...

Blackladies, Brewood

Blackladies incorporates remains of a Benedictine Priory, established around 1150. The Priory is thought to have been founded by Roger de Clinton, the Mercian Bishop, and was dissolved by Henry VII in ...

Boscobel House and White Ladies Priory

South view of the house and garden within a stockade, set in a wood. Various items of interest are numbered and described. From the Doncaster edition of 'The history of the rebellion and civil wars in ...

Bradley 'Priory' : pen drawing

Showing an Elizabethan half-timbered thatched cottage of L-shaped plan. Inscribed 'This building is to be pulled down this summer, May 1838.''T.P.W.,' [Thomas Peploe Wood]

Brewood - Black Ladies Priory: engraving

South east view of the exterior, showing the mansion and chapel (Tudor and Jacobean). Additional plate for `The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire,' S. Shaw. Anonymous, [?S. Shaw.]

Brewood - Black Ladies Priory: engraving

North view of the exterior of the mansion house and chapel (Tudor and Jacobean). Additional plate for `The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire,' S. Shaw.Anonymous, [?S. Shaw.]

Brewood - Black Ladies Priory: tinted pen drawing

Shows the chapel, the half-timber building between the house and the stables.'T.P.Wood.'

Brewood - Black Ladies Priory: woodcut engraving

'The Convent of the Black Ladies, at Brewood.' Showing houses and the chapel, from the pool. Anonymous.

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : engraving

Details of the north and south doors (Norman), a floor tile, and Dame Joan's tomb-stone, 1669. With inscription.'D. Parkes, del., [drawn,] 15 July 1807; J. Basire, sc., [engraved.]'

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : engraving

'Remains of the Priory Church at White Ladies, Shropshire.''D. Parkes, del., [drawn,] 15 July 1807; J. Basire, sc., [engraved.]'

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : engraving

Showing floor tiles discovered at Whiteladies.Anonymous.

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : sepia drawing

Showing details of the remains:1. The capitals to the transept arch.2. The small window to the nave, with a dripstone.3. The north door, with part of the arch and one capital to arch.'J.B.,' [John Buckler.]...

Brewood - Whiteladies Priory (Ruin) : sepia drawing

Twelfth century ruin, showing the north wall of the church, with four nave windows and the arch to the transept. Also shows the north door at the western end (before the buttress.)'J. C Buckler.'

Burton Abbey foundations

Lantern slide of foundations of Burton Abbey uncovered during roadworks around the Market Square in the early 20th century. The Benedictine Abbey of Burton was founded before the year 1000 by Wulfric ...

Burton Abbey from the river Trent

Lantern slide of the Abbey Inn, Burton upon Trent. Although largely Victorian, this building was converted from the Abbey infirmary, and the north wing dates from the 14th century. It was a private ...