Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 2 34 Records Found
12

A Cottage on the Lichfield Road, Stafford

This view of a roofless cottage which stood opposite Green Hall on Lichfield Road, Stafford was taken by Stafford photographer Tony Boydon. The buildings on the left are part of the St. Joseph's Convent ...

Alton - Interior of St. John's Convent School : engraving

'St. John's Chapel, Alton,' showing the screen.Anonymous, [Augustus Welby Pugin.]

Alton - Exterior of St. John's Convent School: engraving

'Saint John's Hospital Alton.' Showing a bird's eye view of the building.'A. P. W.,' [Augustus Welby Pugin].

Alton Castle

South East view of Alton Castle. Within Alton Castle are the remains of the medieval castle, built in about 1175 by Bertram de Verdun, the founder of Croxden Abbey. Alton Castle was rebuilt as a large ...

Alton Castle and 'New Conventual School': sepia drawing

'Remains of Alton Castle and the new conventual school adjoining.' South west view showing the Conventual School on the left, and the remains of the castle on the right. 'J. Buckler.'

Alton Castle and the Hospital of St. John

An aerial view of Alton. On the left is Alton Castle. The first castle, a medieval structure, was built by Bertram de Verdun in 1175. Part of one of the towers remains in the forecourt of the later ...

Broughton Hall,

Broughton Hall was built for Sir Thomas Broughton in the mid-sixteenth century, possibly on the site of an earlier building. During the eighteenth century the ornate timber work was covered in plaster, ...

Convent of the Holy Rosary, Cannock

Opened in 1898 by the Sisters of the Christian Retreat, the Convent later became Lyncroft School in the 1970s and then Chase Academy in 1998, since renamed Chase Grammar School.. The Convent building ...

Hawkesyard College, Rugeley

This postcard view was posted in Coventry, on 26 October 1912, to an address in Stafford. Armitage Park, a mid-18th century house, was originally built by Nathaniel Lister. In 1839 it was bought ...

Hawkesyard Priory and Spode House, Rugeley

Aerial view of Armitage Park, a mid-18th century house, was originally built by Nathaniel Lister. In 1839 it was bought by the widow of Josiah Spode III, who lived there with her son Josiah IV. The ...

Mayfield Convent, Sussex

A postcard view of Mayfield Convent in Sussex. Originally built in the 14th century as a residence for the Archbishops of Canterbury, the buildings were converted for use as a Convent of the Holy Child ...

Our Lady of the Angels and St Peter in Chains Church, Hartshill

This photograph was taken from Higson Avenue, looking across Hartshill Road. The brick built Gothic style church is attached to the neighbouring Dominican Convent and was built between the 1850s and 1890s. ...

Playground of Pension School, St. Dominic's Convent, Stone

The convent, church and Priory School of St. Dominic's were founded in the mid 19th century by Mother Margaret Halahan of the Dominican Order. The school buildings, including the cloisters pictured here, ...

Quarry and Poultry Pens, St. Benedicts Priory, Colwich

This postcard view was photographed and published by Marshall, Keene & Co. Hart St. Holburn, W.C. St. Benedict's was originally a house, built by Charles Trubshaw c.1730. Trubshaw named the house Mount ...

South-west View of Broughton Hall,

Broughton Hall was built for Sir Thomas Broughton in the mid-sixteenth century, possibly on the site of an earlier building. During the eighteenth century the ornate timber work was covered in plaster, ...

St Dominic's Convent Station Rd, Stone.

A postcard view St Dominic's Convent, on the corner of Station Road and Margaret Street. Published by A.W. Tilley, newsagents and stationers, 7 Radford Street, Stone. Mother Margaret Hallahan of the ...

St Dominic's Convent and Church, Hartshill

The Dominican convent date from the middle of the 19th Century. The Church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels and St Peter in Chains, is in the Gothic style and brick built. Built at the top of Hartshill ...

St Dominic's Convent, Station Road, Stone

A postcard view St Dominic's Convent, on the corner of Station Road and Margaret Street. Published by A.W. Tilley, newsagents and stationers, 7 Radford Street, Stone. In the foreground is a boy with ...

12