Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 4 66 Records Found

Aerial view of Stafford Gaol

An aerial view of Stafford Gaol, looking east. In the foreground is Gaol Road. Stafford Gaol was built and opened in 1793. The crescent bock was built in 1830 and further building took place in the ...

Aerial View of Stafford,

View looking north from above Tenterbanks.To the left is the River Sow, Broad Eye and the windmill. Stafford Gaol, on Gaol Road, can be seen in the top right hand corner. Copyright and ownership of ...

Butcher's Shop, Stafford,

This butcher's shop was located on the corner of White Lion Street and Lichfield Road. Next to the shop can be seen the eighteenth century lock-up, used originally to detain local drunks and vagrants. ...

Corn Mill, Stafford Gaol,

The corn mill was built in the 1860s to grind corn for the prisoners' bread. The mill was powered by a treadwheel which was worked by prisoners; this was situated at the rear of the mill, in the building ...

County Court Debtors' Yard, Stafford Gaol

Imprisonment for debtors was abolished in 1870, but this did not extend to those who failed to pay penalties imposed by the County Court. Debtors were allowed privileges such as hot meals, if they ...

County Road, Stafford

View looking along County Road towards the entrance to HMP Stafford on Gaol Road. The entrance visible in the photograph dates from the 1950s, when the original Victorian gatehouse (which stood out further ...

Crescent Block, Stafford Gaol,

The Crescent, named after its shape, was built in 1830 in response to overcrowded conditions within the prison and contained 175 cells. It was designed for male prisoners, particularly those who had ...

Demolition of the Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The prison gate-house was demolished in 1952 in order to widen Gaol Road. The new gate-house, seen on the left, was built by the prisoners before the old one was destroyed.

Entrance to the Governor's House, Stafford Gaol,

When the gaol was built in 1793 it included a house for the governor, who was required by law to live within the prison grounds. The governor's quarters were built facing Gaol Road. At the time ...

Execution of George Bentley

A broadsheet detailing the trial and execution of George Bentley of Mill Meece, near Eccleshall. Bentley was convicted of the murder of John Poole of Croxton, at Walk Mill at Offley Brook, near Eccleshall. ...

Exercise Yard, Stafford Gaol,

Exercise yard situated in the south east corner of the new prison block. This is now (2017) the exercise yard for A and B wing prisoners.

Exercise Yard, Women's Prison, Stafford Gaol,

Female prisoners at silent exercise. They are supervised by a wardress in the sentry box. This area is now (2017) the exercise yard for D wing inmates. Note the woman holding a child on the far right; ...

Forebridge Lock-up, Stafford,

The lock-up on Lichfield Road dates from the early eighteenth century. It was built from stone taken from the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel which once stood on this site. Lock-ups were used ...

Gaol Road, Stafford

View looking along Gaol Road towards Stafford town centre. HMP Stafford can be seen stretching along the road on the left. The original Victorian gatehouse - once a distinctive feature of this view and ...

Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The gate-house stood on Gaol Road and contained the reception ward and a room for the warders. The roof of the gate-house was used as the place of execution until 1817, when new gallows were built on ...

Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The gate-house stood on Gaol Road and contained the reception ward and a room for the warders. The roof of the gate-house was used as the place of execution until 1817, when new gallows were built on ...

Gnosall Lock-up,

Gnosall village lock-up, Station Road, built in 1830. Lock-ups, often found in rural communities, were a convenient place to detain vagrants and local drunks. Only three lock-ups survive in the county, ...

Gnosall Village and Lock-up,

Gnosall village lock-up, Station Road, built in 1830. Lock-ups, often found in rural communities, were a convenient place to detain vagrants and local drunks. Only three lock-ups survive in the county, ...