Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 3 45 Records Found

Alton Towers Gardens

A postcard view looking from the carriage drive garden bridge into the gardens at Alton Towers, showing the Choragic Monument (in the centre) or Monument to Lysacrates in Athens (compare with the Lanthorn ...

Chetwynd House, Stafford,

Chetwynd House was built around 1712-1715 by William Chetwynd, 3rd Viscount Chetwynd (1683?-1770), Member of Parliament for Stafford 1715-1722 and 1734-1770. The house was sold in the 1780s to William ...

Chinese House, Shugborough Park

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

Chinese House, Shugborough Park

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

Coming of Age of Viscount Anson, Shugborough Hall,

A group photograph taken on the occasion of Viscount Thomas Edward Anson's Coming of Age. He later became the 4th Earl. Although his 21st birthday was on 9 December 1904, Viscount Anson was travelling ...

Doric Temple , Enville Hall

The Enville Hall estate was landscaped between 1745 and 1755 by the 4th Earl of Stamford, using the services of the poet and landscape designer William Shenstone of Halesowen, and Sanderson Miller, a ...

Doric Temple, Shugborough Park,

Built c.1760 this is one of two copies of the Temple of Hephaistos in Athens by James 'Athenian' Stuart. The first version was commissioned by Hagley Hall In Worcestershire in 1758, and is believed to ...

Fallows family outside Shugborough Park Farm

The Fallows family were tenants at Shugborough Park Farm between 1900 and 1926. From left to right: Annie, Annie Elizabeth, Thomas, Victor, Thomas Jr., John. Thomas Anson, who inherited the Shugborough ...

Floods, Bridge Street, Stafford

This view was taken from outside The Picture House. In the centre is the public library which occupied this site until 1999, when it moved to part of the Shire Hall on Market Square. The building on ...

Greengate Street, Stafford

View from outside St. Chad's Church, looking north. On the left is Shaw's House, named after a shoemaker who lived there in the nineteenth century and thought to have been erected earlier than the ...

Greengate Street, Stafford,

The Gothic building on the left was the District Bank, completed in 1907. Inside the banking hall was a hammer-beam roof and two elaborate marble fireplaces. The building was demolished in the 1970s ...

Hanley Public Market on Tontine Street, Hanley

Before moving to the Potteries Shopping Centre, Hanley Pubic Market was in the old meat market on Tontine Street. This photograph shows the entrance on Tontine Street in the days before traffic was banned. ...

Lanthorn of Demosthenes, Shugborough Park

Also known as the Dark Lantern, the Lanthorn was the last Neo-classical monument to be designed by James 'Athenian' Stuart for Shugborough. It was completed in 1771. The original, the Choragic Monument ...

Lanthorn of Demosthenes, Shugborough Park,

Also known as the Dark Lantern, the Lanthorn was the last Neo-classical monument to be designed by James 'Athenian' Stuart for Shugborough. It was completed in 1771. The original, the Choragic Monument ...

Lichfield Lodge Houses, Shugborough Estate,

The Lichfield lodge houses were built between 1803 and 1805. The architect was Samuel Wyatt, whose other work at Shugborough includes the Park Farm and the portico of Shugborough Hall. In the 1845 ...

Methodist Central Hall, Longton

This is the main entrance to Methodist Central Hall on the Strand (previously Stafford Street) in Longton. Methodism dates back to the 1780s in Longton, by 1842 a large chapel had been built in Stafford ...

Methodist Church, Stafford,

The Methodist New Connexion Chapel on Gaol Road. The chapel closed in 1951 and the building is now as a Masonic Hall.

New Free Library, Stafford,

Stafford's library was housed in the Borough Hall until 1914. The new library building on The Green was built in 1913, with funds from the Carnegie Trust. The building also housed the Wragge Museum, ...