Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 3 41 Records Found

Brindley Mill, Leek

A postcard view of Brindley Mill from an original drawing by Carl M. Haywood. The mill was built in 1752, almost certainly by James Brindley, the great canal builder, who is known to have set up his ...

Crakemarsh Hall and Lake, near Uttoxeter

Crakemarsh Hall viewed from the south across the lake. Crakemarsh Hall was extensively rebuilt in 1815 for Sir Thomas Cotton Sheppard around the staircase of a late 17th century house. It passed to ...

Crakemarsh Hall, near Uttoxeter

Crakemarsh Hall, viewed here from across the lake, was extensively rebuilt in 1815 for Sir Thomas Cotton Sheppard around the staircase of a late 17th century house. It passed to the Cavendish family in ...

Crakemarsh Hall, near Uttoxeter

Crakemarsh Hall, viewed here from the south west, was extensively rebuilt in 1815 for Sir Thomas Cotton Sheppard around the staircase of a late 17th century house. It passed to the Cavendish family in ...

Crakemarsh Hall, near Uttoxeter

Crakemarsh Hall was extensively rebuilt in 1815 for Sir Thomas Cotton Sheppard around the staircase of a late 17th century house. It passed to the Cavendish family in 1873. US troops were billeted there ...

Crakemarsh Hall, near Uttoxeter

Crakemarsh Hall was extensively rebuilt in 1815 around the staircase of a late 17th century house. It was the home of Lady Sheppard in the mid 19th century and later the Cavendish family. US troops were ...

Entrance Hall and Staircase, Highfield Manor, Stafford,

Highfield Manor was built in 1880 by David Hollin, a boot and shoe manufacturer. In 1900 Mr Hollin commissioned a series of photographs, showing the inside and outside of his home. Although Highfields ...

Entrance to Dovedale, near Ilam

On the left is Bunster Hill, overlooking the steep-sided gorge through which flows the River Dove.

Gamekeeper's Cottage, Madeley

Gamekeeper's Cottage, or Woodland Cottage, stood in Walton's Wood, north east of Madeley. It was demolished around the time the M6 was constructed in 1962-1963.

Ilam Village

A general view of the village with the Grade II listed Watts-Russell Cross in the foreground. This elaborate cross was raised by Jesse Watts-Russell of Ilam Hall in memory of his wife Mary, who died ...

Interior of Blithfield Hall: sepia drawing

Showing the elaborately carved staircase in the north range, which dates from the 1660s. Artist: J. C. Buckler. Blithfield Hall, the home of the Bagot family since 1367, is a medieval house with later ...

Interior of the White Lion Public House, Stafford

The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital, using stone taken from the ruins of the old building. The inn was demolished in 1976 to make way for the Queensway ring ...

Interior view, of Bass House, Burton on Trent

Lantern slide view of the entrance hall and double stairway in Bass House on the High Street. Copyright: Burton Library

Main Staircase, Chetwynd House, Stafford

Chetwynd House was built around 1712-1715 by William Chetwynd, 3rd Viscount Chetwynd (1683?-1770), Member of Parliament for Stafford 1715-1722 and 1734-1770. The house was sold in the 1780s to William ...

New Guildhall Interior, Stafford

The original Guildhall was built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed ...

Nicholson Memorial, Leek

Sir Arthur Nicholson and his wife Lady Nicholson presented the memorial to the town in memory of their son Lieutenant Basil Lee Nicholson and all other local men who died fighting in the First World War. ...

Queen Elizabeth II's Visit to Stafford in 1955

Rugeley Indoor Market

A postcard view of Rugeley indoor market in the now demolished Town Hall. Only the clock tower remains. It shows John Moorcroft at his fruit and vegetable stall. Previously the family had a fruit and ...