Theme Explorer

Start Again > Health & Welfare > Hospitals & Convalescent Homes
Page 1 of 16 276 Records Found

Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

View of the Market Square, which until 1953 was used as a car park. In the centre is the Shire Hall, with the Lloyds Bank building to its left. On the far left is the new Guildhall, constructed ...

Aerial view of Cheshire Joint Sanatorium, Loggerheads

The Cheshire Joint Sanatorium stood in 250 acres of woodlands. Opened in 1923 the only treatment available was rest, quiet, good food, sunshine and fresh air. There was no heating in the buildings and ...

Aerial view of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Aerial View of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Ambulances, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

Four ambulances with drivers and auxiliaries outside Heath House, near Tean, pictured during a voluntary blood donors day. With the support of the Phillips family, Heath House was used as a Red Cross ...

Ambulances, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

An ambulance marked 'American Ambulance - Great Britain' on the passenger door with auxiliaries and Army personnel, pictured on the drive outside Heath House, near Tean during a voluntary blood donation ...

Barton Land Home for the Elderly, Barlaston,

Barton Land under repair; builders are replacing the roof tiles. The nineteenth century building was formerly known as Upper House and was the home of the Barton- Land family. The house was bequeathed ...

Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital

Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital, Ward 1

This picture shows children outside the hospital wards in the summer time, when they were nursed in the fresh air. The house was given originally to Stoke-on-Trent council, but after a short period it ...

Blood donors, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

Volunteer blood donors being attended to by nurses at Heath House, near Tean. With the support of the Phillips family, Heath House was used as a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital between 1941 and 1946. Photographer: ...

Board of Chairmen's names, Longton Cottage Hospital

Showing the names of the Chairmen 1886-1948. The man standing with the board is possibly J.A. Lovatt. Longton Cottage Hospital was built in Upper Belgrave Road in 1889-90 on land given by the Duke ...

Board of Chairmen's names, Longton Cottage Hospital

Board showing the names of the Chairmen, 1886-1948. (Possibly lettered by J. A. Lovatt). Longton Cottage Hospital was built in Upper Belgrave Road in 1889-90 on land given by the Duke of Sutherland. ...

Board of Charmen's names, Longton Cottage Hospital

Board showing Chairmen, 1886-1948. Pictured with it is possibly J.A. Lovatt, who may have painted the lettering. Longton Cottage Hospital was built in Upper Belgrave Road in 1889-90 on land given ...

Bradwell Hospital, Wolstanton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This hospital was for female patients only and had 68 beds.

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

The Wards, like the huts, were lined with a type of asbestos as a form of insulation. You can still find the brick bases where the stoves for heating would have stood. There were apparently three stoves ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

This postcard was sent by a nurse working at the hospital and she has marked with a cross where her Ward was, which was No. 11. Further down the main track you can see the flagpole which was at the entrance ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

Nurses and convalescing soldiers in the snow at Brindley Heath Hospital. The Ministry of Pensions Hospital at Brindley Heath on Cannock Chase. The Military Hospital was built in 1916 to serve both Brocton ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

The caption For this photograph was "Farewell to Matron" and she is beaming as she is waved off by staff and patients along the main driveway in front of the wards. Above the windscreen can be seen one ...