Theme Explorer

Start Again > War & Armed Forces > Military Hospitals & Casualties
Page 1 of 3 44 Records Found

Blood donors, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

Volunteer blood donors being attended to by nurses at Heath House, near Tean. With the support of the Phillips family, Heath House was used as a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital between 1941 and 1946. Photographer: ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

The twelve main Wards of the Hospital were connected at the rear by a long corridor that allowed patients and staff to access and exit without having to be exposed to inclement weather. The two soldiers ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

Nurses and convalescing soldiers in the snow at Brindley Heath Hospital. The Ministry of Pensions Hospital at Brindley Heath on Cannock Chase. The Military Hospital was built in 1916 to serve both Brocton ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

An interesting view of part of Brindley Hospital which was also known as Rugeley Camp Hospital even though it served both Camps. The motor vehicle is parked outside the Mortuary Block, the building behind ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

This postcard view looks south from Rugeley Camp towards Brindley Heath Hospital which can be seen on the left amongst the trees. The Hospital was also known as Rugeley Hospital even though it served ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

These were the Officers Quarters belonging to the Royal Army Medical Corps stationed at Rugeley Hospital on Cannock Chase. Behind these buildings was the Officers' Mess and Ablutions. These huts were ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

This is an inside view of one of the main wards which were roughly the length of three standards huts joined together. At one end was the main corridor that linked all the main wards and principal rooms, ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

The Wards, like the huts, were lined with a type of asbestos as a form of insulation. You can still find the brick bases where the stoves for heating would have stood. There were apparently three stoves ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

This postcard was sent by a nurse working at the hospital and she has marked with a cross where her Ward was, which was No. 11. Further down the main track you can see the flagpole which was at the entrance ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

The caption For this photograph was "Farewell to Matron" and she is beaming as she is waved off by staff and patients along the main driveway in front of the wards. Above the windscreen can be seen one ...

Brindley Village, Cannock Chase

The Ministry of Pensions Hospital at Brindley Heath on Cannock Chase. The Military Hospital was built in 1916 to serve both Brocton and Rugeley army training camps. The hospital had twelve wards with ...

Clayton Hall, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Clayton Hall originally belonged to the Lovatt family, who were local landowners. The Hall was used as a family home for nearly one hundred years until 1939, when it was taken over during the Second ...

Collecting for Hospital Saturday during World War 1, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This horse-drawn float carries a group of girls all dressed as 'Allied' countries. They are beleived to be collecting for Hospital Saturday.

Convalescent soldiers, Cheadle

A group of soldiers on leave in standing outside Cheadle Town Hall. Most appear to be wearing 'Hospital Blues'. The poster in the archway advertises the Osborne Cinema. The Town Hall was built in ...

Convalescing soldiers, Ravenhill House, Brereton

Ravenhill House had been briefly unoccupied when, in March 1915, the War Office intimated that Lady Zouche had offered the house as a V.A.D (Voluntary Aid Detached) Hospital to be operated by the Red ...

German Military Cemetery, Cannock Chase

The German Military Cemetery on Cannock Chase was first opened to the public on 10 June 1967. It was established under the terms of an agreement of 16 October 1959 between the governments of the United ...

HMS Daedalus camp military band, Clayton Hall, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This photograph was taken during the Second World War when Clayton Hall was used as a training base for Fleet Air-Arm apprentices.

Medical Ward, Frobisher Hall , Swynnerton

Frobisher Hall was a hostel for workers at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Swynnerton during and just after the 2nd World War. Workers at R.O.F. Swynnerton, a high percentage of which were women, filled ...