Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 2 22 Records Found
12

Boat Inn Bridge, Gnosall

Boat Inn Bridge is bridge no.34 on the Shropshire Union Canal. On the other side of the brisge, to the right can be seen the Boat Inn. From the County Archaeology photograph collection held at Staffordshire ...

Brewood Wharf

Brewood Wharf stands on the Shropshire Union Canal, designed by Thomas Telford and opened in March 1835.

Canal Basin, Norbury Junction,

Norbury Junction was the junction between the Newport and the Liverpool and Birmingham sections of the Shropshire Union Canal. The Newport branch of the canal was little used after 1920 and closed ...

Canal bridge, Cowley, Gnosall

Cowley Double Road Bridge from the south, bridge no.31 on the Shropshire Union Canal. It is sited south of Gnosall. From the County Archaeology photograph collection held at Staffordshire Record Office....

Canalware Buckby Can

A 3 gallon Buckby can used to hold fresh water on narrowboats for drinking. It has been painted with traditional 'roses and castles' decoration by Lisa Jenkins of Norbury Junction, Staffordshire. The ...

Canalware dipper

This type of dipper was used on narrowboats to take water from the canal for cleaning puposes, and for the watering of animals. Painted in traditional 'roses and castles' decoration by Lisa Jenkins ...

Codsall Road Bridge, Brewood

Construction of Rye Hill Canal Bridge number 22

Builders working on a bridge over the Shropshire Union Canal. Localy known as Slabs bridge.

Cowley Bridge, Gnosall

Slightly water damaged, this glass negative image shows a boat trip at Cowley Bridge with its distinctive double arch over the Shropshire Union canal near Norbury. Photographer: Harry Osbourne of ...

Cowley Tunnel and High Bridge, Gnosall

Cowley Tunnel and High Bridge from the south. It is sited on the Shropshire Union Canal south of Gnosall. From the County Archaeology photograph collection held at Staffordshire Record Office.

Forton Aqueduct

This bridge carried the Shropshire Union canal over the River Meece near Forton. The Newport branch of the canal was little used after 1920, it was closed in 1955 and backfilled. From the County Archaeology ...

Looking towards the Grammar School Bridge, Brewood

Norbury Junction,

Norbury Junction was the junction between the Newport and the Liverpool and Birmingham sections of the Shropshire Union Canal. The Newport branch of the canal was little used after 1920 and was closed ...

Picnic at Norbury Junction

Norbury Junction was the junction between the Shrewsbury and the Liverpool and Birmingham sections of the Shropshire Union Canal. The Newport branch of the canal was little used after 1920 and was closed ...

Shropshire Union Canal, Newport Branch, Sutton

The Newport branch of the Shropshire Union Canal started at Norbury Junction with a flight of seventeen locks. This image features lock 14 and was taken from Sutton Bridge (formerly known as Staff Bridge), ...

Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company wharf Buildings, Burslem Branch Canal

This plan shows the wharf building owned by the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company. The building sat on the Burslem branch of the Trent and Mersey canal which has since been filled in, although ...

Stretton Aqueduct

This cast-iron aqueduct carries the Shropshire Union Canal over Watling Street (now the A5) near Stretton. It was designed by Thomas Telford and manufactured in 1832 by William Hazeldine, a Shrewsbury ...

Stretton Aqueduct

This cast-iron aqueduct carries the Shropshire Union Canal over Watling Street (now the A5) near Stretton. It was designed by Thomas Telford and manufactured in 1832 by William Hazeldine, a Shrewsbury ...

12