Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 29 510 Records Found

A general view of Alvecote Colliery

Alvecote Colliery, Tamworth Brickworks and the Coventry canal can be seen in this photograph. Alvecote Colliery was known as Tamworth Colliery until 1948.

Abbey Crossing, Abbey Hulton, Stoke-on-Trent

The canal bridge over the Caldon Canal and Abbey Level Crossing, with the crossing keeper's house to the left, on Horse Lane (now Birches Head Road) at Abbey Hulton, Stoke-on-Trent.

Aerial View of Gas Works, Stone

Close up view of the town Gasworks on Crown Street, Stone. This view shows the new gasometer built in 1937. When War broke out in 1939 the Joule’s Stone Ales advertisement was painted out to try and ...

Aerial View of Gas Works, Stone

An aerial view showing the Gas Works and surrounding area. The two gasometers shown here were demolished shortly afterwards, and a new one built closer to Stafford Street. Top right is the Crown Bowling ...

Aerial view of Kidsgrove

In the centre of this view is Kidsgrove Railway Station, and just to the right is the Harecastle Tunnel entrance. Bottom right is Harding's Wood Junction where the Trent and Mersey Canal joins the Macclesfield ...

Aerial view of Lancashire Dynamo Electronic Products Ltd's factory site, Brereton

The L.D.E.P. factory was built in 1955 with several subsequent extensions. The two and three storey office block at the top of this image dates from 1961; its top storey housed a conference room and ...

Aerial view of Oakamoor

An aerial view of Oakamoor looking north, taken after the demolition of the Copper Works in 1963. Holy Trinity church can be seen near the centre of the photograph.

Aerial view of Stoke on Trent

An aerial view of part of Stoke on Trent. The railway can be seen running across the middle of the photograph, with the station to the left. The Trent and Mersey Canal is in front of the railway line. ...

Aerial view of Stoke-on-Trent

An aerial view of part of Stoke on Trent. Stoke Railway Station and the North Stafford Hotel can be seen top centre. St. peter's Church is just right of centre on the middle of the photograph. The Spode ...

Aerial view of Stoke-on-Trent

An aerial view looking eastwards over Stoke-on-Trent. St. Peter's Church can be seen on the right hand edge, with the Railway Station and Trent & Mersey Canal in the distance.

Aerial View, Oakamoor

Aerial view of Oakamoor including Thomas Bolton's Copper Works. The Uttoxeter Canal can is seen running past the factory. The Churnet valley railway line emerges from a tunnel, and crosses the canal bottom ...

Alton Station

Alton Station, looking towards Denstone. It was built in an Italianate villa style in about 1849. The station was used by the Earl of Shrewsbury, and in 1892 had a luggage lift to hoist the Earl's baggage ...

Amington Church, Tamworth

Photograph of Amington Church with the Green and Coventry Canal visible in the foreground.

An Address to the Public in Answer to the Case of the Trent and Mersey Canal Company - Pamphlet from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

Controversial Proposals The Trent and Mersey Canal Company has recently issued controversial proposals to build a reservoir and extend a branch canal to Leek. This pamphlet, sent to Enoch Wood's ...

Anderton Boat Lift, Northwich

The Anderton Boat Lift is a two caisson lift lock near the village of Anderton, Cheshire, in north-west England. It provides a 50-foot (15.2 m) vertical link between two navigable waterways: the River ...

Anderton Canal Carriers Wharf, Middleport, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph shows two important sites on the Trent & Mersey Canal in Middleport. In the centre is the Anderton Canal Company's warehouse and boat repair yard and beyond Burgess & Leigh's Middleport ...

Anderton Canal Co. Wharf, Navigation Road, Middleport

This photograph was taken just off the southern end of Navigation Road in Middleport. This was at the northern end of the half mile Burslem Branch Canal which came off the Trent & Mersey Canal. The branch ...

Anderton canal wharves, Middleport

The camera is looking northwards along the Trent & Mersey Canal in Middleport. The buildings on the right belonged to the Anderton Canal Company who were one of the three main carriers serving the Potteries ...