Theme Explorer

Start Again > Buildings, Architecture, Monuments > Public Art & Sculpture
Page 1 of 5 75 Records Found

All Saints' Church Font, Milwich,

The font in All Saints' Church dates from the thirteenth century and is decorated with roll moulding at the rim and base. Part of the font is plain and it is probable the font was never finished or ...

Aqualate Hall,

The original Aqualate Hall (pictured) was built for Edwin Skrymsher in the early seventeenth century. Sir John Boughey bought the house in the late eighteenth century and commissioned John Nash to rebuild ...

Bishop Ryder's Statue, Lichfield Cathedral

This postcard shows the kneeling statue set up as a monument to Bishop Ryder in Lichfield Cathedral. It stands in the north choir aisle Rev. Henry Dudley Ryder (1777-1836), Bishop of Lichfield and ...

Blythe Bridge girl guides at the war memorial, Forsbrook

Photograph donated by the Blythe Bridge and Forsbrook Local Historical Society, who retain copyright ownership.

Boer War New Year Card, Westhorpe, Stafford

New Year card sent by the Peach family, referring to the Boer War (1899 - 1902). This was one of two wars (the first was 1880 - 1881) fought by the British in South Africa against the Boer settlers. The ...

Burslem Town Hall

The western end of Burslem's second Town Hall in Market Place. Opened in 1854, this building replaced the first Town Hall and was built on the same site. Behind to the left are PMT buses parked in Market ...

Cat's Monument, Shugborough Park,

The Cat's Monument, c.1750, is situated on the island. It was probably designed by Thomas Wright of Durham (1711-1786), who also worked on the Ruin. There are two theories behind the purpose of the ...

Cheshire Cottage and Egyptian Court, Biddulph Grange Gardens

This is a plan of the Egyptian Court and Cheshire Cottage at Biddulph Grange Gardens. These buildings were created as an integral part of the gardens by James Bateman who set up the gardens in the mid ...

County War Memorial, Stafford,

The County War Memorial was unveiled in 1923. It stands on Victoria Road, by the entrance to Victoria Park.

Doorway, St. Mary's Church, Swynnerton,

The carved west doorway in the tower dates from the Norman period. Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.

Dr Johnson’s Statue, Market Square, Lichfield

A postcard view of the Statue of Dr Samuel Johnson in the Market Square, Lichfield. It is by R.C. Lucas and was erected in 1838. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), lexicographer, critic and poet, was born on ...

Dr Samuel Johnson’s Birthplace and Statue, Lichfield

This postcard view shows Dr Samuel Johnson's statue on the left. It is by R.C. Lucas and was erected in 1838. The house on the right was completed in 1707 by Michael Johnson, Samuel's father. Samuel Johnson ...

Dr Samuel Johnson’s Statue, Lichfield

A postcard view of the Statue of Dr Samuel Johnson in the Market Place, Lichfield. It is by R.C. Lucas and was erected in 1838. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), lexicographer, critic and poet, was born ...

Ecclesiastical Figure, St. Mary's Church, Stafford,

Figure, possibly of St. Mary, over the south porch of St. Mary's Church, Stafford.

Effigy of Sir John de Swynnerton, Swynnerton Church,

The cross-legged effigy of Sir John de Swynnerton can be found in St. Mary's Church in Swynnerton, and dates from the thirteenth century. Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, ...

Effigy, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,

Effigy of Elias-de-Napton which marked his tomb in 1295 when it was in the south aisle of the church. Elias-de-Napton was prebendary of Eccleshall and the son of the first Lord Broughton. He was Co-adjudicator ...

Highfield Manor, Stafford,

Highfield Manor was built in 1880 by David Hollin, a boot and shoe manufacturer. The gardens were influenced by those at Versailles, and Mr Hollins employed three gardeners. In 1900 Mr Hollin commissioned ...

King Edward VII at Lichfield Cathedral

This postcard view shows King Edward VII leaving Lichfield Cathedral by the Great West Door (main entrance) while two police officers keep watch. Although this postcard was published around 1901 or 1902 ...