Theme Explorer

Start Again > Sport, Arts & Leisure > Cinemas & Theatres
Page 1 of 10 165 Records Found

6th North Staffordshire Regiment, Burton upon Trent

Lantern slide view of soldiers of the 6th North Staffordshire Regiment marching along George Street. The Opera House can be seen to the left. St. George's Hall was built in George Street in 1867 ...

A decorated Palace Cinema, George Street, Tamworth

The first Palace Cinema can be seen here decorated to celebrate the Coronation of George V. The early 20th century Palace cinema was the old music hall and stood on the site of [what is now] Burtons shop ...

Albert Hall Cinema, Interior, Stafford,

The Albert Cinema opened in May 1912 in a former rag and bone warehouse on Crabbery Street. It closed three years later. In 1919 the building was converted into a repertory theatre and remained as ...

Albert Hall Cinema, Stafford,

The Albert Cinema opened in May 1912 in a former rag and bone warehouse on Crabbery Street. It closed three years later. In 1919 the building was converted into a repertory theatre and remained as ...

Albert Hall Theatre, Stafford,

The Albert Cinema opened in May 1912 in a former rag and bone warehouse on Crabbery Street. It closed three years later. In 1919 the building was converted into a repertory theatre and remained as ...

Alhambra Cinema, Longton

Built in 1914 by T C Wild, a Longton pottery owner and future Lord Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent, the Alhambra picture house stood on Upper Normacot Road at the corner of Herbert Road (off to the right). Spring ...

Alhambra Picture House, Normacot

The Alhambra picture house stood on Upper Normacot Road. It was built in 1914 by T. C. Wild, a Longton pottery owner, later Lord Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent. The cinema closed in 1977, and stood derelict ...

Anglesey Hotel, Market Street, Hednesford

A bus waits outside the Anglesey Hotel on Market Street. The Anglesey Hotel was built in 1831 by Edmund Peel of Tamworth, son of Sir Robert Peel of Drayton Manor; brother to Robert, sometime British Prime ...

Anson Street, Rugeley

This postcard scene is a Staffordshire County Library reprint of an old postcard. It shows the War Memorial in Anson Street looking towards the Market Square. On the left is the Palace Theatre and ...

Anti-cyclone marionette, Hogarths' Marionettes

Hogarth's anti-cyclone marionette puppet. Black and yellow figure with black and yellow stripes. Yellow ribbons. Face on either side of head with sharp yellow teeth, yellow pointy nose and spikes coming ...

Apollo cinema, Stafford

A view of the Odeon Cinema on the corner of the Green and Newport Road, which was opened by the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury in 1936. The opening gala was concluded with a showing of Charlie Chaplin's ...

As You Like It

Lithograph print by Julian Trevelyan (1910-1988). One of a series of prints commissioned by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon as designs for posters advertising their productions. Dimensions: ...

Blindfold Chess Tournament, Cheadle

A poster advertising the visit of Mr J.H. Blackburne, 'Champion blindfold chess player of the world' to the Town Hall, Cheadle in March 1897. On the evening of 29 March he played 8 simultaneous games ...

Bottom and the Fairies

Lithograph print by Anthony Gross (1905-1984). One of a number of prints commissioned by the Royal Shakespeare Company at Stratford-upon-Avon as designs for posters advertising their productions. Dimensions: ...

Bridge Street, Stafford

The Picture House, opened as a cinema in 1914 and closed in 1995. It was converted into a Wetherspoon's pub and restaurant. To the left of the Picture House can be seen the 'Boppin' Dolphin' Fish and ...

Britannia Picture House, Cheslyn Hay

William 'Neddy' Thacker with horse and cart outside the Britannia Picture House, Rosemary Road, Cheslyn Hay. The cinema opereated during the 1930s and the site is now (2007) occupied by flats at Liberty ...

Broadway Cinema, Meir

Photograph taken looking south-west. The Broadway cinema was opened on the 14th of December 1936. Built in the Art Deco style, it had an angular design, rounded corners, a "grand staircase" entrance ...

Broadway cinema, Meir. Photographed by William Blake

The Broadway cinema was opened on the 14th of December 1936. Built in the Art Deco style, it had an angular design, rounded corners, a "grand staircase" entrance and seating for 1,000 people. It also ...