Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 16 275 Records Found

Abbey Inn, Burton-upon-Trent

At the rear of the Abbey Inn, which incorporates part of the infirmary of the Abbey founded in 1002. The Benedictine Abbey of Burton was founded before the year 1000 by Wulfric Spot, Anglo-Saxon Earl ...

Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

View of the Market Square, which until 1953 was used as a car park. In the centre is the Shire Hall, with the Lloyds Bank building to its left. On the far left is the new Guildhall, constructed ...

Aerial view of Cheadle, Hospital area

In the bottom right corner is Cheadle Hospital, with The Birches and Major's Barn nearby. St. Giles' C of E Church and the cemetery are in the upper right edge of the photograph. Copyright and ownership ...

Aerial view of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Aerial View of Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Aerial view of Stafford Gaol

An aerial view of Stafford Gaol, looking east. In the foreground is Gaol Road. Stafford Gaol was built and opened in 1793. The crescent bock was built in 1830 and further building took place in the ...

Aerial view of Stone from the north

A view looking towards the town centre. Victoria Terrace can and the railway can be seen in the foreground Just beyond children can be seen lining up in Christ Church School playground. The town centre ...

Aerial view of Stone from the north

A view looking towards the town centre. Station Road and the level crossing can be seen in the foreground. The town centre is in the middle of the photograph, with Walton to the right. The Workhouse ...

Aerial view of Stone from the north west

An aerial view looking towards the town centre. St. Michael's church is in the centre of this photograph, with Church Lane level crossing in the foreground, and the Mill to the right. The area now (2010) ...

Alton Castle and the Hospital of St. John

An aerial view of Alton. On the left is Alton Castle. The first castle, a medieval structure, was built by Bertram de Verdun in 1175. Part of one of the towers remains in the forecourt of the later ...

Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital

Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital, Ward 1

This picture shows children outside the hospital wards in the summer time, when they were nursed in the fresh air. The house was given originally to Stoke-on-Trent council, but after a short period it ...

Blood donors, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

Volunteer blood donors being attended to by nurses at Heath House, near Tean. With the support of the Phillips family, Heath House was used as a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital between 1941 and 1946. Photographer: ...

Board of Chairmen's names, Longton Cottage Hospital

Board showing the names of the Chairmen, 1886-1948. (Possibly lettered by J. A. Lovatt). Longton Cottage Hospital was built in Upper Belgrave Road in 1889-90 on land given by the Duke of Sutherland. ...

Board of Chairmen's names, Longton Cottage Hospital

Showing the names of the Chairmen 1886-1948. The man standing with the board is possibly J.A. Lovatt. Longton Cottage Hospital was built in Upper Belgrave Road in 1889-90 on land given by the Duke ...

Board of Charmen's names, Longton Cottage Hospital

Board showing Chairmen, 1886-1948. Pictured with it is possibly J.A. Lovatt, who may have painted the lettering. Longton Cottage Hospital was built in Upper Belgrave Road in 1889-90 on land given ...

Bradwell Hospital, Wolstanton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This hospital was for female patients only and had 68 beds.

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

This postcard view looks south from Rugeley Camp towards Brindley Heath Hospital which can be seen on the left amongst the trees. The Hospital was also known as Rugeley Hospital even though it served ...