Theme Explorer

Start Again > Law, Order & Emergency Services > Prisons & Reformatories

Refine By Selecting a Sub Theme

Prison Buildings(67)Prisoners(37)Staff(16)
Page 1 of 7 110 Records Found

Aerial View of Stafford,

View looking north from above Tenterbanks.To the left is the River Sow, Broad Eye and the windmill. Stafford Gaol, on Gaol Road, can be seen in the top right hand corner. Copyright and ownership of ...

Boys' Schoolroom, Stafford Gaol,

Originally prisoners would have been taught in their cells, education being one of the prison chaplain's duties. By 1852 a schoolmaster and schoolmistress had been appointed and a room in the prison ...

Broadsheet - Staffordshire Lent Assizes, 1845

A broadsheet detailing the sentences for prisoners at the Staffordshire Lent Assizes, at the Shire Hall, Stafford in 1845. The judges were The Right Hon. Sir Frederick Pollock, Knight; and Thomas Joshua ...

Butcher's Shop, Stafford,

This butcher's shop was located on the corner of White Lion Street and Lichfield Road. Next to the shop can be seen the eighteenth century lock-up, used originally to detain local drunks and vagrants. ...

Calendar of Prisoners at Quarter Sessions, Stafford

The courts of Quarter Sessions were established in 1362 and sat for over 600 years until their abolition in 1971. The court’s initial function was judicial – to hear criminal cases – but over time the ...

Caroline Pulley, Stafford Gaol

From the Stafford Gaol Photograph Albums, 1877-1916, this photograph taken at Stafford Gaol, and shows prisoner 4408, Caroline Pulley. Prisoners were required to show their hands to the camera, but Caroline ...

Chapel, Stafford Gaol,

The chapel was built in 1852, during a period of alteration and expansion within the prison structure. The new chapel was situated behind the women's gaol; a gallery at the southern end was designed ...

Cooking Kitchen, Stafford Gaol,

Ovens and cooking equipment in the cooking kitchen. The kitchen block was built in the 1860s.

Corn Mill, Stafford Gaol,

The corn mill was built in the 1860s to grind corn for the prisoners' bread. The mill was powered by a treadwheel which was worked by prisoners; this was situated at the rear of the mill, in the building ...

County Court Debtors' Yard, Stafford Gaol

Imprisonment for debtors was abolished in 1870, but this did not extend to those who failed to pay penalties imposed by the County Court. Debtors were allowed privileges such as hot meals, if they ...

County Road, Stafford

View from outside the entrance of HMP Stafford on Gaol Road, along County Road towards Foregate Street. The road in the immediate foreground was the site of the hanging of Dr William Palmer (the 'Rugeley ...

Crescent Block, Stafford Gaol,

The Crescent, named after its shape, was built in 1830 in response to overcrowded conditions within the prison and contained 175 cells. It was designed for male prisoners, particularly those who had ...

Demolition of the Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The prison gate-house was demolished in 1952 in order to widen Gaol Road. The new gate-house, seen on the left, was built by the prisoners before the old one was destroyed.

Entrance to the Governor's House, Stafford Gaol,

When the gaol was built in 1793 it included a house for the governor, who was required by law to live within the prison grounds. The governor's quarters were built facing Gaol Road. At the time ...

Entrance to the Women's Prison, Stafford Gaol,

The women's prison was built in 1852 to deal with the problem of overcrowding. A new male block, the 'Crescent' was also built. At this time it was believed that prisoners should be kept apart as ...

Execution of Charles Moore

A broadsheet detailing the life, trial and exection of Charles Moore. Charles Moore and Edward Welsh were convicted of the murder of John and Jane Blackburn at Ash Flats Farm, near Stafford. They ...

Execution of George Bentley

A broadsheet detailing the trial and execution of George Bentley of Mill Meece, near Eccleshall. Bentley was convicted of the murder of John Poole of Croxton, at Walk Mill at Offley Brook, near Eccleshall. ...

Exercise Yard, Stafford Gaol,

Exercise yard situated in the south east corner of the new prison block. This is now (2017) the exercise yard for A and B wing prisoners.