Theme Explorer

Start Again > Religion & Beliefs > Religious Buildings > Convents & Monasteries
Page 1 of 2 27 Records Found
12

Alton - Interior of St. John's Convent School : engraving

'St. John's Chapel, Alton,' showing the screen.Anonymous, [Augustus Welby Pugin.]

Alton - Exterior of St. John's Convent School: engraving

'Saint John's Hospital Alton.' Showing a bird's eye view of the building.'A. P. W.,' [Augustus Welby Pugin].

Alton Castle

South East view of Alton Castle. Within Alton Castle are the remains of the medieval castle, built in about 1175 by Bertram de Verdun, the founder of Croxden Abbey. Alton Castle was rebuilt as a large ...

Alton Castle and 'New Conventual School': sepia drawing

'Remains of Alton Castle and the new conventual school adjoining.' South west view showing the Conventual School on the left, and the remains of the castle on the right. 'J. Buckler.'

Broughton Hall,

Broughton Hall was built for Sir Thomas Broughton in the mid-sixteenth century, possibly on the site of an earlier building. During the eighteenth century the ornate timber work was covered in plaster, ...

Calvary, Hawkesyard Priory, Armitage

This photograph shows steps leading up from the grotto to the area around the Friars' cemetery. Note the beehive in the foreground. The three crosses of the Calvary are at the top of the steps. Photographer: ...

Cotton College, Cotton

An Aerofilms postcard view of Cotton College, also known as St. Wilfrid's College. Cotton Hall was built in the 18th century by the Gilbert family. In 1844 it was sold to the Earl of Shrewsbury and ...

Hawkesyard Priory and College, Rugeley

This postcard view was posted in Brereton, Rugeley, on 7 August 1905, to an address in London. Armitage Park, a mid-18th century house, was originally built by Nathaniel Lister. In 1839 it was ...

Hawkesyard Priory, near Rugeley

This postcard view shows Hawkesyard Priory when the Priory buildings were quite new. In earlier years the adjacent house and grounds were known as Armitage Park, a mid-18th century house, which was ...

Heron Court Congregational Church, Rugeley

This postcard view of the Heron Court Congregational Church also captures a glimpse of Heron Court Mansion on the right. The Mansion was built in 1851 by Joseph Robert Whitgreave as his residence. In ...

Interior of St Dominic's Roman Catholic Church, Stone

St. Dominic's convent, church and priory school opened in May 1854. St. Dominic's was founded by Mother Margaret Hallahan of the Dominican Order. The Church of the Immaculate Conception and St. Dominic ...

Knowl Street, Stoke upon Trent

This is a view north along Knowl Street from close to its junction with Shelton Old Road. The buildings on the left are associated with Our Lady of Lourdes and St Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Boys' School ...

Playground of Pension School, St. Dominic's Convent, Stone

The convent, church and Priory School of St. Dominic's were founded in the mid 19th century by Mother Margaret Halahan of the Dominican Order. The school buildings, including the cloisters pictured here, ...

St Dominic's Convent and Church, Hartshill

The Dominican convent date from the middle of the 19th Century. The Church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels and St Peter in Chains, is in the Gothic style and brick built. Built at the top of Hartshill ...

St Mary's Home, Stone,

Three views of St Mary's Home on Station Road and Margaret Street. Mother Margaret Hallahan of the Dominican Order founded St. Dominic's Convent in the mid-nineteenth century. This was originally ...

St. Anne's Chapel, Stone

St. Anne's Chapel was built in 1844 by James Beech, to a modest design by A.W.N. Pugin. It still stands in the grounds of St. Dominic's Convent, justoff Newcastle Street. A postcard view published ...

St. Dominic's Convent, Stone

The convent, church and Priory School of St. Dominic's were founded in the mid 19th century by Mother Margaret Halahan of the Dominican Order. On the left are the school buildings, built in 1857. On ...

St. Joseph's Convent, Stafford

This building was originally Forebridge Villa, built on Lichfield Road in the early nineteenth century. The house was bought in 1903 by sisters from the French Order of St. Joseph of Cluny. Here they ...

12