Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 11 185 Records Found

Aerial view of Oulton Abbey and village, near Stone

Ann aerial view of Oulton, looking north-east, with Oulton Abbey bottom right. Oulton Abbey, formerly Oulton House, was built by Thomas Dent, a solicitor, in about 1720. It was later owned by John ...

Aerial view of Perton

An aerial view of Perton, looking north west along Parkway. House building is well underway and the houses built by Gallifords around Marston Drive and those built by Midland and General in Mercia Drive ...

All Saints Church from School Lane, Sandon

All Saints' dates from the Norman period. Inside, in the west window, can be found a fragment of fourteenth century stained glass. The font dates from 1669. In 1851 the north aisle was remodelled to serve ...

Alton - Interior of St. John's Convent School : engraving

'St. John's Chapel, Alton,' showing the screen.Anonymous, [Augustus Welby Pugin.]

Alton - Exterior of St. John's Convent School: engraving

'Saint John's Hospital Alton.' Showing a bird's eye view of the building.'A. P. W.,' [Augustus Welby Pugin].

Alton Castle

The first castle, a medieval structure, was built by Bertram de Verdun in 1175. Part of one of the towers remains in the forecourt of the later nineteenth century building. The 16th Earl of Shrewsbury ...

Alton Castle

A postcard view of Alton Castle. This postcard was franked at 3.00 PM on 12 December 1904 in Walthamstow and posted to an address in Finsbury Park, London. The first castle, a medieval structure, was ...

Alton Castle

South East view of Alton Castle. Within Alton Castle are the remains of the medieval castle, built in about 1175 by Bertram de Verdun, the founder of Croxden Abbey. Alton Castle was rebuilt as a large ...

Alton Castle and the Hospital of St. John

An aerial view of Alton. On the left is Alton Castle. The first castle, a medieval structure, was built by Bertram de Verdun in 1175. Part of one of the towers remains in the forecourt of the later ...

Amateur dramatics, Perton

The production of 'From Pharaoh to Freedom' performed by the congregation and choir of the Church at Perton in 1978.

Birches Head RC School, Boulton Street, Hanley

Saint George and Saint Martin Roman Catholic Junior School in Boulton Street, Birches Head. Opened in 1915 as an infants school, it became a school taking pupils up to 14 years old in 1925. The school ...

Brakespeare Street chapel and infants' school, Goldenhill

A Roman Catholic school-chapel was built in Brakespeare Street, then called John Street, in1871, with extensions in the 1880s. Garbett Street (then called Church Street) is at the far end. The building ...

Brook Square and Brewery Street, Rugeley

Newly built shops in Brook Square and, to the left, Brewery Street, Rugeley. From left to right: Barclays Bank; Nicholls & Clarke (paint, wallpaper etc.); Evans & Evans (estate agents); John Warrilow ...

Burslem from St Paul's Churchyard

The camera is looking eastwards from St Paul's Churchyard towards the centre of Burslem. Hall Street runs away from the centre of the picture towards the tower of St Joseph's Catholic Church. The cluster ...

Burslem from St Paul's Churchyard.

Looking east from the edge of St Paul's Churchyard. The tower to the right belongs to St Joseph's Catholic Church on Hall Street. The two gate posts on the right led to the original church, now demolished. ...

Calvary, Hawkesyard Priory, Armitage

This photograph shows steps leading up from the grotto to the area around the Friars' cemetery. Note the beehive in the foreground. The three crosses of the Calvary are at the top of the steps. Photographer: ...

Calvary, Hawkesyard Priory, Rugeley

A postcard view of the Calvary in the gardens at Hawkesyard Priory. A Calvary is a sacred cross, particular to the Roman Catholic church, usually with the figure of Christ on a crucifix. Calvary is ...

Cardinal Reginald Pole

Cardinal Reginald Pole (1500-1558) was the last Roman Catholic Archbishop opf Canterbury, and held office during the Counter Reformation. He was born at Stourton Castle, near Kinver in Staffordshire ...