Armitage Park: engraving
'Armitage Park, South. Seat of Thomas Lister, Esquire,' showing the Hall in the park with hills behind. [The house, rebuilt by Josiah Spode, has reverted to the old name of Hawkesyard].'F. Calvert, ...
Oulton Old Hall
Oulton Old Hall was originally built in 1613 as the seat of the Gamul family. In 1670 it was bought by the Short family, who in turn sold it to the Beech family in 1699. At some time between 1774 and ...
The Golden Lion, High Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme
The Golden Lion on High Street is a traditional town centre public house. The first record of it is from 1734 when it was listed as a 'land carriage' public house. In 1822, Martha Ellerton, who was only ...
Edward McCann carte de visite, Uttoxeter
The reverse of a carte de visite produced by Edward McCann, Uttoxeter photographer, in the 1870s.
Edward McCann was born in Hereford in the 1820s and his family originally came from Ireland. He served ...
Monkhouse School, Cheadle
Monkhouse School on Prince George Street was the original Cheadle Grammar School built in 1685. Part of the building dates from the 17th century. The school closed in 1917. Part of the building is ...
Edward Street Coronation Celebrations, Tamworth
Opened by Councillor E.A. Courts, the children at the party were presented with coronation mugs filled with sweets, dolls and toys. Standing on the far right are Mrs Brenchley, Mrs Hope, Mrs Baker, Mrs ...
Sunset, Lichfield Road, Stafford
This view taken at sunset looks north-west along Lichfield Road towards the junction with Bridge Street and Newport Road, Stafford.
On the left is the Borough Library, in the centre the Grapes public ...
Baptist Church, Stafford,
The Baptist Chapel on The Green opened in 1896. The unusual spire was designed by Birmingham architect Ewen Harper.
To the right of the chapel is the Art Gallery and Library. In the 1970s the road ...
Swimmers, Codsall Secondary School
This swimming pool was originally constructed in an open courtyard area of Codsall Secondary School, surrounded by classrooms and a covered walkway. Later it was covered with a roof. The school was ...
Moreton & Co. Bakers & Confectioners, Stafford
A paper bag from Moreton & Co.'s pastry cooks, bakers and confectioners shop at Market Square, Stafford. Also advertised are veal and ham, or pork pies, foreign and British wines, Callard & Bowser's ...