Wharf Street, Longton. Photographed by William Blake.
Street scene taken at Wharf Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.
This is possibly the best known image from the collection. Blake, in a library entry for the North Staffs Field Club, describes ...
Wheatsheaf Public House, Coton, Milwich,
The Wheatsheaf closed in 2000.
White Lion Inn, Stafford,
The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel on Lichfield Road; the rear structure of the inn included stonework from the old chapel. On the right is the eighteenth ...
White Lion Inn, Stafford,
The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel; the rear structure of the inn included stonework from the old chapel.
The inn was demolished in 1976 to make ...
White Lion Inn, Stafford,
The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel; the rear structure of the inn included stonework from the old chapel.
The inn was demolished in 1976 to make ...
White Lion Street, Stafford,
This photograph was taken from Wolverhampton Road.
The building on the right lasted until the 1970s when, along with Camden Place and Timmis' Antique Shop it was demolished to make way for the inner ...
Whitgreave village,
View of Whitgreave village looking west down main road from the churchyard. Grange Farm is in the centre of the photograph.
William and Ellen Smith
William Smith was the gardener at the Birches House and later on at Pendrell Hall. Their house (pictured) was situated on Dam Mill fork, between Codsall Road, Birches Road and Lane Green Road.
William Salt Library, Stafford
A view of 18 and 19 Eastgate Street, Stafford, the home of the William Salt Library between 1918 and 2022. Number 19, a Grade II* listed Georgian town house, is now believed to have a hidden timber core ...
Wilson Road, Hanford
This is a view along Wilson Road from its junction with Mayne Street. The cottages on the right hand side of Wilson Road have been demolished. The houses and corner shop in the centre of the photograph ...
Wilson Road, Hanford
Looking southwest along Wilson Road from the Church Lane crossroads. Church Lane is off to the right and Queen Mary Road to the left. The two cottages on the corner have been replaced with modern housing, ...
Wimblebury, near Hednesford
Wimblebury came into existence as village to accommodate incoming coal miners and their families in about 1870. It was named after an existing farm. It is now contiguous with Heath Hayes (named after ...
Windmill Hotel, Werrington
A postcard view of the Windmill Hotel with an Ind Coope & Allsopp Brewery lorry parked in front of the building. On the right the Inn sign clearly advertises it as the Windmill Inn, which still stands ...
Wolseley Road, Rugeley
A view of the main road between Rugeley to Stafford (the A460), here captioned as Stafford Road but actually named Wolseley Road. The avenue of Lombardy poplar trees approaching what was known as Eaton ...
Wolseley Road, Rugeley
A postcard view of a quiet scene looking north on Wolseley Road in Rugeley. The building on the right is Rugeley Grammar School which in later years became the Chancel Primary School.
Wolstanton High Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme
Looking down Wolstanton High Street. Ernest Swettenham's grocery shop can be seen on the corner of High Street and Ellison Street, on the right hand side. This postcard captures the period, with the tram ...
Wolverhampton Road, Stafford
This view was taken on the Wolverhampton Road, near The Green by the entrance to the present Friary Retail Park (2025). The terrace of houses on the left were demolished in the late 1970's and replaced ...
Wolverhampton Road, Stafford
Photograph includes Pilkington's vintage cycle shop, Owen's sweet shop, and Island Cafe.