Greengate Street, Stafford
Greengate Street looking towards the Market Square, an image taken from a glass negative.
The timber framed building on the left is the Ancient High House, built by Richard Dorrington in 1595. In 1826 ...
Greengate Street, Stafford
In the centre is Mac Fisheries at No. 54 Greengate Street, they were a UK retail chain of fishmongers who were at these premises from 1936-1978.
On the left is a part view of Rose & Co., wallpaper ...
Greengate Street, Stafford
Looking down Greeengate Street from the Market Square. On the right is the Ancient High House built by Richard Dorrington in 1595. On the right is Brookfield's tailors. In 1826 the High House was bought ...
Greengate Street, Stafford
A view of Greengate Street taken in 1962.
Left to right: the Ancient High House a Grade II* listed building, Brookfield’s tailors, hosiers and out-fitters. Rose & Co. wallpaper and paint merchants, ...
Greengate Street, Stafford
A colour-tinted postcard view looking along Greengate Street from the junction with Mill Bank towards the town centre. On the immediate left is Chetwynd House, built around 1712-1715 by William Chetwynd, ...
Greengate Street, Stafford
On the far right is Dale's ironmongers shop. The building was a typical Tudor house, originally thatched, and first used as a shop in 1811 when Bartlem Tomlinson started his ironmonger's business there. ...
Greengate Street, Stafford,
View of Greengate from the junction of Tipping Street.
The timber framed building on the left is the Ancient High House, built by Richard Dorrington in 1595. In 1826 the building was bought by John ...
Greengate Street, Stafford,
View of east side of Greengate Street with heavy road traffic, showing Briggs' shoe shop, John Mottram Ltd jewellers and the Bear Inn.
Greengate Street, Stafford,
View looking towards Market Square.
The timber framed building on the left is the Ancient High House, built by Richard Dorrington in 1595. In 1826 the building was bought by John Marson, who converted ...
Greengate Street, Stafford,
View of Greengate looking towards the Market Square.
On the left is the Swan Inn, originally built as two private town houses in the seventeenth century. The buildings were converted into a coaching ...
Greengate Street, Stafford,
Note the cattle tethered by the Swan Hotel, whose sign can be seen clearly in the centre of the photograph. This could possibly be a weekly Saturday market.
Shaw's House and the High House can be ...
Greengate Street, Stafford,
View of Greengate looking towards the Market Square.
On the left is Haycock and Tooth's ladies and gentlemen's outfitters shop, which opened in 1897.
The building with the bow windows is the Swan ...
Greengrocer's Stall on the Common Plot, Stone
Mr and Mrs W. Thorley, who ran greengrocers on Stonefield Square, with a fruit and vegetable stall on the Common Plot during celebrations for either George V's Silver Jubilee in 1935, or the Coronation ...
Greenwood's draper's shop, Carter Street, Uttoxeter
This is believed to be the shop window of J.H. Greenwood's drapers, wool and silk shop at 16 Carter Street. Greenwoods were sole agents for Wolsey undergarments and also had branches in Hanley, Burslem, ...
Greenwoods Shop, Sheridan Centre, Stafford
Greenwoods Menswear shop formed part of the Sheridan Centre which was developed in the 1970s. In later years the centre was partly demolished and given a £5 million redevelopment which officially re-opened ...
Greyfriars, Stafford
A photograph taken before the re-development of the east side of Greyfriars (between fancy walk and Browning Street)in 1974
Greyfriars, Stafford
A photograph of the east side of Greyfriars (between Browning Street and Fancy Walk) taken before re-development in 1974.
Grocer and baker, G. Miller, High Street, Pattingham
The Grocer shop is on the right hand side of the photograph.
The horse and cart are entering the yard at the side having completed their delivery of grocery orders to outlying houses and farms.