Theme Explorer

Start Again > Sport, Arts & Leisure > Cinemas & Theatres
Page 9 of 10 165 Records Found

The Palladium, Bore Street, Lichfield

The Palladium Cinema was open between 1912 and 1937, and the site has undergone many changes. In 1790 a theatre was built on the site, and was known as the Theatre Royal by 1859. This building was demolisehd ...

The piano player from 'The Pianist' puppet act

The piano player puppet was made by Douglas Hayward. He performs the tune "Daisy Daisy". Originally the puppet had an extra string attached to his face, allowing him to stick his nose in the air when ...

The Picture House, Willenhall

The view is taken from Wolverhampton street. The banner on the front of the Picture House advertises 'Patria'. This was a fifteen-part serial film released in 1917, funded by William Randolph Hearst ...

The Plaza Cinema, Horse Fair, Rugeley

A postcard view created in 1984 to celebrate 50 years of the Plaza Cinema on Horse Fair, Rugeley. The Plaza opened as The Picture House on 12 November 1934 at 7.00pm. The first films to be shown ...

The Plaza Cinema, Nelson Place, Newcastle-under-Lyme

The Plaza Cinema, Nelson Place, Newcastle-under-Lyme, showing 'Last of the Mohicans'. Before opening as a picture house in 1910 this building was the Newcastle and Pottery Theatre.Mr Beresford purchased ...

The Regal Cinema, Tamworth Street, Lichfield

The Regal cinema is here pictured in its heyday, a year after it opened, decorated and lit up to advertise the film, '42nd Street'. The Regal was part of the ABC chain and closed in 1974. A few years ...

The Royal Cinema, Manor Street, Fenton

The Royal Cinema building stands in Manor Street, just off City Road in Fenton. Opened in 1913, it closed as a cinema in 1960 before becoming a nightclub for a short period. At its peak it could seat ...

The Theatre Royal, Hanley after the fire

Hanley's Theatre Royal had a long and colourful history until its closure in 2000. In 1840 a disused Methodist Chapel on Brunswick Street was converted into a lecture hall by Thomas Hinde, and renamed ...

The Trumpet Player

The Trumpet Player puppet made by Douglas Hayward.

Theatre Bill for The Assembly Room, Red Lion Inn, Leek

Advertising poster for an evening of "highly interesting and moral entertainments".

Theatre Royal, Newcastle-under-Lyme

The Theatre Royal was built between 1787 and 1788. In 1910 the theatre became Newcastle's first electric cinema, originally known as the Newcastle Cinema Theatre. The medallion of Shakespeare can be seen ...

Theatre Royal, Pall Mall, Hanley

The Theatre Royal frontage pictured before it was destroyed by fire in June 1949. Hanley's Theatre Royal had a long and colourful history until its closure in 2000. In 1840 a disused Methodist Chapel ...

Tower and Clouds, Blackpool. Photographed by William Blake.

Seafront with a view of Blackpool Tower, Lancashire.

Town Hall, Stone

Stone Town Hall decorated for the Silver Jubilee celebrations of King George V, June 1935. The Town Hall was built on the High Street in 1870 at a cost of £2,500, and from 1912 also served as the ...

VE Day Celebrations, Hall Street, Audley, Newcastle-under-Lyme

A group of children standing on the steps of the Coronation Cinema celebrating VE day.

Victoria Theatre, Hartshill Road, Hartshill

This two-storey building was constructed between 1900 and 1924. It has a cellar and a later large extension attached to the right side of the building. There have been extensive modifications to the building....

Waldo Lanchester unveiling a plaque

Photograph of Waldo Lanchester, puppeteer and puppet maker unveiling a plaque commemorating the opening of the puppet theatre at Abbots Bromley.

Watercolour set design

Watercolour set design for an unknown play performed at the Lyceum Theatre, Martin Street, Stafford around 1897-1902. The producer at the time was Mr H. Sydney-Basinge. The artist is G. Brew. The ...