Theme Explorer

Start Again > Buildings, Architecture, Monuments > Law & Order Buildings

Refine By Selecting a Sub Theme

Courts(34)Prisons & Reformatories(65)
Page 9 of 9 158 Records Found

The Stocks, Penkridge

In the foreground can be seen the village stocks which stand in front of the Old Gaol. Built in the early 19th century, the Old Gaol was the village lock-up and stands on Bellbrook. The building was ...

The Towers, Stafford Gaol,

A tower was built at each corner of the gaol in the mid-nineteenth century to provide living accommodation for prison warders, and would have afforded some supervision over the site. When the Crescent ...

The Village, Wetley Rocks

The War Memorial, Anson Street, Rugeley

The 1921 War Memorial in its original Mutton Green location on Anson Street, Rugeley. The Police station (built 1907) is on the left and the Post Office (built in about 1910) is on the right. The memorial ...

The White Lion Inn and lock up, Stafford

The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel on Lichfield Road; the rear structure of the inn included stonework from the old chapel. On the right is the eighteenth ...

Treadwheel, Stafford Gaol

Treadwheels were introduced as a form of prison punishment in 1817, often serving no other purpose than to enforce hard, monotonous work, though some powered pumping or grinding machines. At Stafford ...

Treadwheel, Stafford Gaol

Treadwheels were introduced as a form of prison punishment in 1817. The treadwheels at Stafford Gaol powered the corn mill and pumped water from wells within the prison grounds.

Trial and execution of two boatmen

An incomplete broadsheet detailing the trial and execution of James Owen and George Thomas, who were convicted at Stafford Assizes for the murder of Christina Collins. In 1838 Robert Collins, an out ...

Twelve pence token, Stafford

A silver twelve pence (shilling) token issued by Stafford shoe manufacturer John Cartwright in 1811. The obverse has an illustration of the Shire Hall in Stafford, built in 1798. John Cartwright's business ...

Vicarage Row and the Lock-up, Alton

A view of Vicarage Row on Dimble Lane from the north east , with the village lock-up, built in 1819 and renovated in 1977, standing to the right. The stone-built cottages on Vicarage Row date from the ...

Village Green, Lower Leigh

A view of village green at Lower Leigh showing William Emery's smithy to the left and the Police Station to the right. Three blacksmiths can be seen standing on the green and one (possibly William Emery) ...

Walsall Town - The George Inn: sepia wash drawing

'The George Inn and Old Houses at Walsall, Staffordshire.' A view of the square known as the Bridge. The large building with three (of four) Ionic columns, originally from Fisherwick Hall, on the left, ...

White Lion Inn, Stafford,

The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel on Lichfield Road; the rear structure of the inn included stonework from the old chapel. On the right is the eighteenth ...

Women's Prison, Stafford Gaol,

Male and female prisoners had always been kept separate, but due to overcrowding a new gaol for females was built in 1852. This allowed the Separate System to be introduced in which it was believed that ...