Theme Explorer

Page 7 of 54 967 Records Found

Brookfield Foundry and Kerr Stuart engineering works, Whieldon Road, Stoke-on-Trent

This is a view west from the Whieldon Road area towards the Brookfield Foundry. The main railway line runs in front of the buildings and behind can be seen the floodlight pylons of the original Stoke ...

Brookfield Foundry, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph shows what was the California Engineering Works of the locomotive builders, Kerr Stuart & Co. Railway locomotives had been produced on this site since 1892. Kerr Stuart closed down in ...

Bucknall and Northwood Station

Bucknall and Northwood Station looking south along the line towards the next station at Fenton Manor. In the distance is Berry Hill spoil tip. The station was at the bottom of Limekiln Bank and the ...

Bucknall and Northwood Station, Stoke-on-Trent

Opened in 1864, Bucknall & Northwood Station was on the North Staffordshire Railway's Biddulph Valley branch line. Trains also ran between Stoke and Leek, with a line branching off at Milton Junction. ...

Building Cheddleton Asylum

The asylum at Cheddleton in Staffordshire was built to serve the Pottery towns and the area surrounding Leek. Patients were referred to as "inmates", and anyone from people with a "mild affliction" ...

Burley Bridge, Chesterton

The canal in this postcard view was built by Sir Nigel Gresley of Knypersley Hall to transport coal from his pits at Apedale to Newcastle-under-Lyme. Permission to build the canal was granted in 1775. ...

Burley Pit, Apedale

Apedale colliery, the Burley pit (c. 1850-1926) in early 1900’s. This photograph shows the bridge carrying the tub-way from the Watermills colliery to the Burley screens. There is a tub (the local name ...

Burley Pit, Chesterton

Burley Pit was part of Apedale colliery and was open between about 1850 and 1926. This photograph was taken by Thomas Warham, a local photographer, who took many photographs of Audley and its surrounding ...

Burslem Railway Station

The entrance to Burslem Station on Moorland Road, alongside Burslem Park. Construction of the station began in 1870 and the Potteries Loop Line reached Burslem in 1873. The tablet over the door reads ...

Burton Railway Station, Burton-upon-Trent

The entrance to the Railway Station, Borough Road, Burton-upon-Trent. Originally opened in 1839, the current station buildings date from 1971. This Image is from a collection of photographs of Burton ...

C. Thurston's private carriage, Orton and Spooner, Burton-on-Trent

This private carriage was built and decorated by G.Orton & Sons and C.J.Spooner. It is a fairground proprietor's caravan. Thurston's funfair is still in business (2006) and is based in Bedford.

Cadets at Stoke Train Station, Station Road, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph shows young cadets from 237 squadron of the ATC on manoeuvres. They are carrying their kit into Stoke station on their way to training camp.

Caldon Canal and Pumping Station, Stockton Brook

Stockton Brook, looking towards Etruria. A working narrow boat is moored alongside the canal towpath in the distance. On the right is Stockton Brook pumping station built for the Staffordshire Potteries ...

Caldon Canal at Wall Grange

The Caldon Canal and Churnet Valley Railway at Wall Grange, near Cheddleton. The lane is Sutherland Road.

Caldon Canal in Abbey Hulton, Stoke-on-Trent

The bridge carries the original North Staffordshire Railway Stoke to Leek and Biddulph Valley lines over the Caldon Canal near Abbey Hulton. The line has been dismantled and is now a footpath and cycleway. ...

Caldon Canal, Consall

A view of the River Churnet where the Caldon Canal (left) separates from the River Churnet (on the right). Beyond can be seen the bridge which carries the Churnet Valley Railway over the canal, and in ...

Canal and railway, South Basin, Hednesford

Working narrow boats with railway rolling stock in the background. The Hednesford Basin was sited at the end of the Cannock extension to the Birmingham Canal Navigations and served the nearby collieries, ...

Canal bridge, Oakamoor

This filled in canal bridge arch is now situated in the beer garden of the Cricketer's Arms at Oakmoor. The top of the lime kilns can be glimpsed on the left hand side. Image copyright Warrington Museum ...