Theme Explorer

Start Again > Transport & Communication > Telecommunications
Page 6 of 7 110 Records Found

Student Canteen at Post Office Telephones Central Training School, Yarnfield

A view of the Students' Canteen at Howard Hall. Duncan Hall, Beatty Hall and Howard Hall (all named after Royal Navy Admirals) were built in 1938 for munitions workers relocated from Woolwich Arsenal ...

Telegram Delivery Woman, Stafford,

First World War GPO telegram delivery woman in working uniform with her bicycle. During the war many women took over the jobs vacated by men who had gone to fight in France.

Telephone Exchange extension, Stafford

Telephonists are pictured operating switchboards in a section of the extension to Stafford Telephone Exchange, which was part of a £100,000 development scheme at the Post Office, inaugurated by the Mayor, ...

Telephone Exchange, Hanley

The old telephone exchange building stands on the corner of Trinity Street and Marsh Street North in Hanley. The four storey brick building was opened in 1900 but has been replaced by the large telecommuncations ...

Telephone Exchange, Rugeley

The telephone exchange stood behind the Library on Anson Street.

Telephone Exchange, Victoria Road, Tamworth

This photograph shows operators at the Post Office telephone exchange on Victoria Road, Tamworth.

Test room at Castlegate Telephone Exchange, Stafford,

Engineers in the test room at Castlegate Telephone Exchange, Eastgate Street. From left to right: Reg Woolley, Roy Daniels and Ron Davies. Their job was to test telephone customers' lines and ...

The Cliffs, Shugborough

This postcard view is of an area known as the Cliffs and the Trent and Mersey Canal. Nearby is Shugborough Hall, which is the ancestral home of the Anson family, who were later created the Earls of ...

The Fleur de Lis, Norton Canes

This sepia bordered postcard pictures The Fleur de Lis (or Lys ) public house at Norton Canes , called "The Luce" by locals. It was said to be a 16th Century drovers' stopping place on the London - Chester ...

The Kings Arms, Stafford Street, Eccleshall

A postcard view of the King's Arms which was originally named The Unicorn. Its neo-Elizabethan timber framed facade covers the original Elizabethan structure. On the extreme right is Perry’s butchers ...

The Roebuck Inn, Wolseley Bridge

The Roebuck Inn is on the right of this view at the junction of the A51 and A513. Over the years this quiet road scene has changed and (in April 2018) there is a busy junction with road traffic islands. ...

Training session at Post Office Telephones Central Training School, Yarnfield

A training session in one of the Duncan Hall buildings. The students are being trained in electronic circuit testing. Duncan Hall, Beatty Hall and Howard Hall (all named after Royal Navy Admirals) ...

Training session at Post Office Telephones Central Training School, Yarnfield

A class in one of the practical rooms in the New Training Building. The trainees are learning how to carry out adjustments to a Motor Uniselector - the switching system in telephone exchanges. Duncan ...

Training session at Post Office Telephones Central Training School, Yarnfield

Engineering Instructor Jim Riding is seen explaining the correct operation of a lift motor brake as part of the training for the safety of maintenance engineers. This photograph was probably taken in ...

Trent Mersey Canal at Shelton

Threevmen at the rear of a narrowboat, and a large satellite dish in the background.

Trentham Telephone Exchange, Trentham

Trentham Telephone Exchange was just off Stone Road, opposite the junction with Whitmore Road. It was originally close to Trentham Park Station. The station has been demolished but the exchange buildings ...

William Buttler, amateur radio operator, Burslem

William Butler, photographed here in his mid-60s at his home in Waterloo Road, Burslem, was a keen amateur shortwave radio operator. William never used a microphone to contact other shortwave operators, ...

Winter scene, Walton Bridge, Stone

A view looking towards Walton Bridge and Stone town, believed to have been taken during the hard winter of 1947. The weight of ice and snow has brought down the telephone wires.