Theme Explorer

Page 5 of 40 716 Records Found

Brocton, near Stafford

A postcard view taken from The Green, Brocton, looking towards Milford. The Smallwoods lived in the cottage on the right with the village smithy attached. Samuel Buttery was the village blacksmith. ...

Brookfields billhead, Stafford

This billhead has engraved illustrations of Brookfield's Stafford premises: 15 & 16 Gaolgate Street; Market Square; Eastgate; 1,2,3,4 Greengate and 6,7,8,9 Market Square; and Foregate. In 1743 George ...

Brookfields goods recipt, Stafford

A bill from Brookfields, Greengate St. and St. Mary's Gate, Stafford, Tailor, hosiers and shoe fitters. Dated 27 Sept 1963. In 1743 George Boulton, a draper, opened a shop on Market Square. By ...

Brother Potters!

The early 1800s brought hard times for potters in Stoke-on-Trent. Costly wars disrupted trade abroad, while poor harvests caused hunger at home. "One word with you, afore yo gon to do any moore mischif..." Government ...

Brush or Pencil.

Decorating brush or pencil used for the hand-painting of pottery. This brush is called a tracer. Roughly 5cm in length. Taken from the Gladstone Pottery Museum Tools Collection. This object ...

Brush or Pencil.

Decorator's liner brush or pencil. Consisting of a head and quill, and a detachable wooden handle. Used by painters and paintresses to decorate pottery. Roughly 13cm in length. Taken from ...

Brush or Pencil.

Decorator's liner brush or pencil. Consisting of a head and quill, and a detachable wooden handle. Used by painters and paintresses to decorate pottery. Roughly 19cm in length. Taken from ...

Brush or Pencil.

Decorating brush or pencil. Square shader. Roughly 16cm in length. Taken from the Gladstone Pottery Museum Tools Collection. This object is now part of the collections at Stoke-on-Trent Museums. ...

Bryan's Lane, Rugeley

This building, Brook House, on the corner of Forge Road and Bryan's (sometimes Bryants) Lane was a house and shop occupied by the Evans family. Around 1900 William Evans was running a marine dealer, ...

Builders and undertakers, Penkridge

Interior view of the workshop of F. J. Rostance and Son with staff and a newly completed coffin. Pictured are George Hollis and Reg Price. The Rostance family business began as a builders in Stone ...

Burgess' Ironmongers Shop, Eccleshall,

One of Burgess' first shops which opened on Stafford Street. This shop is directly opposite the present Burgess' premises.

Burgess' Ironmongers Shop, Stafford,

This shop on The Green belonged to Frederick H. Burgess. Note the washing machines and paraffin heaters in the shop window. The site was formerly occupied by Eley's Brewery. This building, along with ...

Burman's Cooperage, Dallow Street, Burton-On-Trent

Completed and unfinished casks at Burman's Cooperage. The company was founded in 1899. The original firm was called J. Burman & Son, Hawkins Lane, Burton-On-Trent. It was a cask repair firm only. ...

Burnisher's Emery Strap.

Burnisher's emery strap. Used to clean and maintain burnishing tools. Burnishing tools. Used in pottery making to enhance the appearance of fired gold decoration. After firing, the gold decoration ...

Burnisher's Putty Strap.

Burnisher's putty strap. Used to clean and maintain burnishing tools. Burnishing tools. Used in pottery making to enhance the appearance of fired gold decoration. After firing, the gold decoration ...

Burnisher's Putty Tin.

Burnisher's putty tin. The putty was used in the process of cleaning and maintaining burnishing tools. Burnishing tools. Used in pottery making to enhance the appearance of fired gold decoration. After ...

Burnishing Tool.

Burnishing tool with a bloodstone or haematite head. Used in pottery making to enhance the appearance of fired gold decoration. After firing, the gold decoration would be dull. The gold was wiped ...

Burnishing Tool.

Burnishing tool with a bloodstone or haematite head. Used in pottery making to enhance the appearance of fired gold decoration. After firing, the gold decoration would be dull. The gold was wiped ...