Theme Explorer

Page 5 of 16 272 Records Found

Felling of Grange Pumping Station Chinmey, Burton-on-Trent

Floods by South Street, Stafford,

The River Sow in flood, looking towards the Gas Works from South Street.

Gaol Square, Stafford

View of the square showing, on the right, the Singer Sewing Centre, the Mecca sweet shop and The Jap Co., household furnishers. The four-dial clock was presented by George Bruckshaw in 1916, to celebrate ...

Gaol Square, Stafford,

This drinking fountain was erected on Gaol Square in 1889 by the widow of Thomas Sidney, in memory of her husband. Thomas Sidney was born in a house on Gaol Square (now occupied by Radio Rentals) in ...

Gaol Square, Stafford,

The Union Jack boot and Shoe shop - 'the working man's friend' - had closed at the time of this photograph. In the 1930s the building would be replaced by the Gaol Square Garage. Note the cast-iron ...

Gas House, Trentham Hall

When Trentham Hall was rebuilt by Sir Charles Barry between 1834 and 1849 a new form of lighting was installed at the Hall: gas. As the nearest gas supplier was located in Etruria, the Trentham Estate ...

Gas Works, Stafford,

Gas Works Retort House, Chell Road. The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when the works were taken over by the West Midland Gas Board, none ...

Gas works, Tamworth

The Gas Works have since been demolished and in 2003 Saxon Mill Housing and the Aldi Supermarket stood on the site.

Gasometer under Construction, Stafford,

The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when the works were taken over by the West Midland Gas Board, none of the original buildings remained. The ...

Gasometer, Eccleshall

A rare photograph of the gasometer in Eccleshall. Eccleshall gas works stood off the Stone Road. As well as supplying the town's domestic gas supplies, it was also a source of coke and tar for local ...

GEC, Lichfield Road, Stafford

Pictured is the construction of a new Diesel Generator House for the GEC Works on Lichfield Road, Stafford. On completion three diesel generators would be housed in this building. The combined ratings ...

Goods train at Etruria

Unidentified Stanier 8F locomotive at Etruria, Stoke-on-Trent. Pulling a rake of empty coal wagons, this "up goods" is heading past Cockshutt sidings on the main line. The buildings in the background ...

Goodwin's Potters Millers on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

George Goodwin & Sons Westwood Mills site on the banks of the Caldon Canal just off Lichfield Street in the Eastwood area of Hanley. The company was founded in 1848 and had mills at Consall and Cheddleton. ...

Granville Square, Stone,

View from Granville Square down High Street. Granville Square was known as Pump Square until 1903. To celebrate the coronation of Edward VII the town pump, seen in front of the street lamp, was replaced ...

Gratwich Post Office Tenement

Although the main post office was at Uttoxeter, by 1880 letters could be posted in Gratwich at the letter box near the blacksmith’s shop with a collection late afternoon. Pictured is the small tenement ...

Gypsum Works Buildings, Stowe-by-Chartley,

Gypsum is a source of plaster of Paris and was mined at the Normanwood Gypsum Mine at Hixon. The shaft was near Stowe. Gypsum was sent from Normanwood to London to make castings, particularly for dentists. ...

Hall Flat, Little Haywood

Pencil and wash drawing by Great Haywood born artist, Thomas Peploe Wood (1817-1845) showing a well outside Hall Flat House, Little Haywood.

Hanley power station.

Hanley power station supplied the town with all its power from 1894. After the Federation in 1910 power was also supplied to Newcastle. Much of this load was taken off Hanley power station after construction ...