Theme Explorer

Page 4 of 24 419 Records Found

Chartley Hall and Grounds, Stowe-by-Chartley,

The original moated timber mansion house at Chartley was home to the Devereux family, who had moved from Chartley Castle during the fifteenth century. In 1575 Elizabeth I was entertained at Chartley ...

Chartley Hall, Stowe-by-Chartley,

The original moated timber mansion house at Chartley was home to the Devereux family, who had moved from Chartley Castle during the fifteenth century. In 1575 Elizabeth I was entertained at Chartley ...

Chaseley Road and Penkridge Bank Road, Rugeley

A view clearly recognisable today: Chaseley Road on the left joins Penkridge Bank Road, looking towards Rugeley. The current Chase Inn can be seen amongst the trees on the left. It had previously been ...

Chestall, Cannock Chase

This postcard was posted on 4 March 1915. The view is of Chestall Hall which was once part of the vast Beaudesert Estate. Originally an 18th century farmhouse owned by the Earl of Uxbridge, the house ...

Children's Cottage, Trentham Gardens

Sadly the former Children's Cottage was vandalised in the 1990s and stood sad and forlorn before being rescued. It now stands at the rear of the present Garden Centre at Trentham. Children's Cottage, ...

Children's Cottage, Trentham Gardens

Sadly the former Children's Cottage was vandalised in the 1990s and stood sad and forlorn before being rescued. It now stands at the rear of the present Garden Centre at Trentham. The Children's Cottage, ...

Church Croft, Rugeley

Situated on Station Road, Rugeley next to the Old Chancel, the house was once the home of the parents of Dr.William Palmer, "The Rugeley Poisoner". It is now (2019) occupied by Media Resources. The ...

Church Hill, Hednesford

The postcard view looks down Hednesford's Church Hill to its junction with Uxbridge Street and Rugeley Road, and across into Market Street. The coal miners' houses on the right have been demolished but ...

Church Street Crossing, Stone,

The Crossing Keeper's house stood on the Stone to Colwich line and dates from 1849. When automatic barriers were introduced there was no longer any need for a keeper, so the house was demolished in ...

Clarkes Building, Stafford

Clarkes Buildings off Gaol Road. The building on the left was Hardman and Openshaw's mineral water factory. The chimneys in the far distance above the roofline belong to Stafford Gaol.

Claymills Pumping Station, Burton-upon-Trent

Claymills Pumping Station was designed by James Mansergh and opened in 1885. It was used to pump sewage from Burton-upon-Trent to a sewage farm at Etwall, and was built in response to increasing health ...

Clough Street, Hanley

The view along Clough Street towards the centre of Hanley. On the right hand edge is the greyhound racing stadium and next along, the tall chimney and three bottle ovens of George Ashworth's Broad Street ...

Coal Strike, March 1912. Coal Pickers at Florence Colliery, Longton, Stoke-On-Trent. Photographed by William Blake.

View of Florence Colliery, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. People scavenge for bits of coal during the coal strike of 1912. Named after the Duke of Sutherland's daughter, the pit was opened ...

Colwich Brickworks

A brick maker was living in this part of Colwich in 1740 and thereafter trade continued in the area. This brick-works was built by Colwich Brick and Tile Co. Ltd. in about 1900 and continued brick production ...

Colwich Railway Station,

Colwich Railway Station was designed by Livock in 1847. It was jointly run by North Staffordshire Railways (The Knotty) and London and North Western Railways. Colwich was the most southerly station ...

Congleton Edge, From Cloud End. Photographed by William Blake.

Landscape with a view of Congleton Edge taken from Cloud End, Cheshire.

Convent of the Holy Rosary, Cannock

Opened in 1898 by the Sisters of the Christian Retreat, the Convent later became Lyncroft School in the 1970s and then Chase Academy in 1998, since renamed Chase Grammar School.. The Convent building ...

Coppice Mill, Stone,

At one time there were ten mills in the Moddershall Valley which provided material for the pottery industry. This is Coppice Mill on Longton Road, also known as Shardlow's Mill. In the eighteenth ...